Jetting for Mad Beaver pod filters

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Joe in Australia

Jetting for Mad Beaver pod filters

#1 Post by Joe in Australia » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi guys,<p>I'm looking at buying a set of Mad Beaver pod filters to install on my stock standard RZ500N.<br>This conversion is purely visual not performance related. I ride the bike to work during the week and in summer I like to ride it along twisty coastal roads.<p>Dale has already suggested to me a starting point for the carb jetting. <p>Has anyone out there installed the Mad Beaver air kit on an unmodified engine and what jetting have you used?<p>Please remember I do not race the bike and only take it to redline occasionally just to give it a bit of a clean.<p>Regards<p>Joe.
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

j.fittipaldi@bigpond.com

matt

Re: Jetting for Mad Beaver pod filters

#2 Post by matt » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:28 pm

Joe , what do you mean you just ''go to redline occasionlly''thats where all the fun begins ( just kidding ) go with what dale suggest to start with ,he is the designer of the kit, I'm not trying to discourage you in any way but if it's just for looks, man it may be better to stay with the stock set up especially if you just kinda pleasure ride or putt your 500 ... there has been lots of past postings about this elusive jetting issue ,, check them out in the archives.....
<br>

creswell5@cableone.net

Joe in Australia

#3 Post by Joe in Australia » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:22 pm

Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.<br>I guess I have mellowed in my more advanced age and having wife and kids I guess I am a little more sensible when I ride the bike.<p>Sure I'd love to spend more time close to 10k RPM but the cops aren't too kind over here, also drivers don't look for bikes on the road so you need to be more alert which equates to less fun.<p>Regards<p>Joe.
<br>

j.fittipaldi@bigpond.com

matt

#4 Post by matt » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:41 pm

Joe, I stopped road riding all together when my kids were very small not that I have a death wish now cause the kids are still around but I have a little more life insurance ''just in case'' I was really just joking bout the redline thing , sometimes people are way to serious on this board although this 500 is hard to ride slow . are you installing the filters ? they can make the stock carburetion a real headache to tune also the midrange transition may not be as smooth as stock airbox and ears ,, but I do like the ease of maintence and all the clutter under the tank will be history and they do look trick !! happy riding ..........
<br>

creswell5@cableone.net

Joe

#5 Post by Joe » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi Matt,<br>if I get the kit from Mad Beaver I'll install it myself. It will improve the clutter under the tank and maybe use that space for other components.<br>At this stage I'm in two minds about getting the kit, if it is a problem getting the carburation correct then it may not outweight the good looks and ease of maintenance.<br>As I mentioned in a previous post I use the bike to commute therefore it is 60Km/H all the way unless I take the freeway, although a longer ride, it gives me the opportunity to get to 100/110.<p>Regards<p>Joe.
<br>

j.fittipaldi@bigpond.com