Suggestions on Gear/Tranny Oil?

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Tony in Denver

Suggestions on Gear/Tranny Oil?

#1 Post by Tony in Denver » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:09 pm

Anyone have a recommendation on tranny oil for the Rz500? It needs to be high-end, for competition use. I'm sorta unenchanted with mine.<p>Tony in Denver
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

mra21@hotmail.com

Dale R Murphy

Re: Suggestions on Gear/Tranny Oil?

#2 Post by Dale R Murphy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:19 pm

My preferred oil is Motul 5100 10W40.<p>Dale
<br>

madbeaver@ripnet.com

T. Burkhart

#3 Post by T. Burkhart » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:53 pm

I know this is not going to be recieved well by some, but I will throw it out there anyway. I know a guy who lives near me that has only ever used Ford Transmission Fluid in his Aprilia RS250 gearbox and has had no problems in over 20,000 miles, not KM's but miles of life on the machine. The bike is also in a very high state of tune and is pushing about 74HP at the rear wheel and still has never had a transmission failure of any sort. He has taken his motor apart as well as the transmission and has found virtually no wear inside the transmission. He believes that the Transmission fluid has way higher shear qualities than conventional oils and holds its properties of protection longer as well. Again, no proof and no endorsement from me, but it does make sense to me and is something to consider especially in a less user friendly racing enviroment where hard service is the name of the game.
<br>

yzr500@lycos.com

Ken Smith

#4 Post by Ken Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:57 pm

When I worked in the M/C shops years ago some of the mfg's. said to use trans fluid in the race bikes. Never used it my self bu know other who did with no ill affects.
<br>

RDRZRGTZR@att.net

Kazz

#5 Post by Kazz » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:10 am

I like the Honda Trans Oil. It is a 85/90 and red in color (looks just like automatic trans fluid. Bel-Ray also has a good product, its red also.<p> Automatic trans fluid at Walmart would be alot cheaper than the Honda oils and others. Why not try some Amsoil automatic trans fluid, synthetic might be too slippery, but then again mabye not. I think I am going to try some now to think of it. As long as it isn't energy conserving, those oils have moly and is hard on the clutch, too slippery.<p><br>MgK
<br>

kastning@sasktel.net

Rick Lance

#6 Post by Rick Lance » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:31 am

Hey, Tony!<br>Have you tried Redline's 2stroke gear oil? I have heard more raves on Redline than any other. Of course, I don't use it so what would I know? The oil I really like lately is Valvoline Racing 60w available at AutoZone for less than $3.00 per qt. Wet clutches love it which makes for smoother shifting due to better disengagement.<p>Rick
<br>

rick@lancegamma.com

Rick Lance

Do you really want to do that?

#7 Post by Rick Lance » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:17 am

At the risk of causing my motor rebuild business to taper off, here's a few thoughts on oil use in the RZ500:<p>The gearbox holds A LOT of oil (almost 2 qts.) and is well circulated with an internal pump. Most any fresh motor oil will be up to the task of preventing engine wear, galling or high temperature breakdown. What you will notice primarily from one oil to the next is shifting and clutch action. Most complaints about stiff transmissions are clutch related due to poor release from the wrong oil. Ever try to shift gears without having the clutch fully disengaged? The effect is similar. How do you find the right oil? Look for clean clutch disengagement with no drag and smooth shifting with no clunks.<p>As for using ATF or some oddity, you may want to look into what it costs to tear your motor down to replace crank seals first. The RZ seals are old tech, similar to designs from the '60's and are very suseptable to chemical exposure. 2stroke and gear oils meet at the seal. Additive packages differ with various brands and styles of oil. If the seal is exposed to a combination of additives that shouldn't be mixed, the seal disolves. The safe approach is to use 2stroke and gear oils from the same manufacturer since they will avoid such conflicts within their own product line. Second choice is to find what works for you and stick with it. Don't change oils just to see what they smell like. The seals tend to take a chemical set from whatever oils they have been exposed to. The more varied the exposure the higher the risk of adverse seal reaction. Which brings me to auto trans fluid or ATF. Can you say "different additive package"? In a new motor with new seals, ATF will work reasonably well, although without any advantages from a good gear oil. However, if at some point in the future you change back to a motor oil, plan on the seals taking a dive due to the chemical attack between the oid and new lube. If ATF is tried on a motor with oil experienced seals, the effect is the same.<p>Please leave well enough alone. I am busier than I need to be with RZ500 motor rebuilds as it is.<p>Rick Lance<p>www.lancegamma.com
<br>

rick@lancegamma.com

Bill Nast

#8 Post by Bill Nast » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:05 pm

My ride came from a guy who builds race two strokes, My bike is stock ,he uses mobil 1 synthetic I can look up what wt, cant remember off the top of my head, he said he notices the least wear in clutch parts with this oil. My bike shifts smooth I have no problems at all.
<br>

w.jr3771@sbcglobal.net

gmanhevner

#9 Post by gmanhevner » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:47 pm

hey there fellas, my expierence with 2 stroke clutch/shifting is that SAE 50 or 60 wt. oil is the best and cheapest that i have found, any one that you can find at local auto parts store, or you can buy the expensive Honda & Belray stuff, it is your choice also the heavier the oil the more drag on the engine, maybe this is a H.P. factor, who knows
<br>

g_manhevner@yahoo.com