premixing procedure

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

wolfgang

premixing procedure

#1 Post by wolfgang » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:01 am

I am running premix on my Rainey Replica. I usually mix petrol and oil in my garage, shake it and let it rest some time before I use it.<br>What if I had to fill up gas at a gas station and add the oil directly into the tank? How fast would it mix?<br>I am usually usinjg MOTUL 600 2T. It says it is "self-mixing", but no indication how long it would take.<p>Any experience on that?
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

wolfgang_hromada@aon.at

Dale W.

Re: premixing procedure

#2 Post by Dale W. » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:53 am

We used to mix 5gal containers of fuel for our snowmachines in a certain sequence. 1 gal fuel, add the required oil for the full 5gal mix then shake it like mad until it was very well mixed. We'd add another gallon and mix again, followed by a third gallon mixing and finally topping off the 5 gallon container and mixing a final time. We never let mixed fuel sit. It was poured nearly immediately and if it wasn't it was well shaken before it was poured from the primary mixing container. I don't know if we over did it but we never had any engine problems.<p>I ran Sunoco race fuel and synthetic oil in my TZ250 on the track and it was a cantankerous bitch if the fuel/oil was not mixed the same day. I found out that most of those problems was likely the formulation of the Sunoco. After the days running I'd drain the tank, lines, carbs and the next day put a fresh mix in it - it was a screamer ..<p>I think "self-mixing" sounds more like a marketing statement.. I would mix any oil rigorously and I am seriously considering yanking the oil pump off my RZ this next round and running premix. I think you can mix oil and fuel in your tank but you must have a syringe, bulk oil, and a calculator with you all the time!!<p>;-)<br>
<br>

wlasitz@shaw.ca

chadwick

#3 Post by chadwick » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:55 am

Tank mixing is the only way I did it on my 350. I calulated how many ounces per gallon needed for the ratio desired. I usually added some oil first making sure I didn't put too much in it, then added my fuel, then any additional oil to get the mixture right. I kept a bottle of oil under my seat and used oil that had a clear view on the side with the ounce graduation marks on it. Shake the bike back and forth a few times with the cap on. Then kick and twist. The ratio will not be dead on but close enough for street riding. I an assuming you are not racing on the track.<br>It always worked for me but listen to what others say also. Good luck...
<br>

mchadwick@charter.net

Ronnie

#4 Post by Ronnie » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:36 pm

Excuse the ignorance but i have to ask! why would you want to self mix? what's wrong with the pump that's fitted to the bike? what's the advantage of premix if you're just street riding?
<br>

ronnie@snoozeville.freeserve.co.uk

Steve

#5 Post by Steve » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Some people don't want to worry about a 20 year old injector system going out and taking the top-end with it. Then others are just goofy.
<br>

Steve@steven.com

Dice/Brian Breiwick

#6 Post by Dice/Brian Breiwick » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:31 pm

Like everybody else said put oil in fill about a gallon and shake shake shake. Then fill up 9/10th full and shake some more while people at the gas station are looking at you funny. <p>Then when you ride, zig zag/flip flops the bike a little and do a couple of quick brakings to mix better. <p>Reminds me of a guy named Randy Carter from Brooklyn Park MN (Crazy guy, now dead) Put oil in his dirt bike and put gas in assuming it mixed (Late 70s). 50 feet later his bike killed. The carb filled with oil. <p>I can't beleave I remebered that!
<br>

Elvishead666@aol.com

Jeff B

#7 Post by Jeff B » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:48 pm

That's how I do it with my RD400.
<br>

beeks81@aol.com

Rafal S

#8 Post by Rafal S » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:33 pm

When I premix for my honda cr I put the right ratio of oil (oz) into a 5 gallon fuel jug before pumping gas into it. Once I put 5 gallons of gas in it it's perfectly mixed. Did it for years.
<br>

s500cc@peoplepc.com