shocks

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

robert

shocks

#1 Post by robert » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:39 am

i'm looking at replacing the stock shock and checked out the penske and ohlin web pages but don't see anything listed for the rz500. does anyone have part numbers? also, any advice on shocks? preferences? things to look for? <br>thanks<p>robert<br>
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

parkside415@earthlink.net

Paul Springthorpe

Re: shocks

#2 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:38 am

Hi <p>I Bought a Maxton rear shock for my RD500 - They ask your weight including riding gear, riding style, and whether or not its for track or road use then build you a one-off custom shock....... and they're excellent. A lot of IOM TT riders go for Maxton shocks. Maxton also tell me that the hot exhausts won't bother their design which is some kind of shim stack system.<p>I found that the shock being harder changed the ride height of the bike - so it was very useful to have a ride height adjuster incorporated into the design.<p>I'm sure Ohlins, WP and Penske shocks are also excellent products. Just make sure they've got the ride height adjuster to fine tune the steering.<p>Sadly a good rear shock will show just how poor your front forks are. Also being able to go faster with a better shock will in turn show just how poor your brakes are as well - However the throttle works both ways :-)<p>Sorry no part numbers. It might be worth e-mailing the importer - In the UK it is Harris Performance. Not sure about the USA<p>Good luck.<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>

paul@springthorpe.freeserve.co.uk

Paul K

#3 Post by Paul K » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:39 pm

Works Performance will build a shock that will work, You tell them what bike, your weight, riding style, etc. and they will build one that works great and is adjustable. They stand behind their product if you have andy problem at all. They advertise in all of the motorcycle mags..... It should cost about $600.00 <p>Paul K
<br>

paulkjeweler@sbcglobal.net

P51bombay

No Maxton in USA

#4 Post by P51bombay » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:37 pm

The can't ship to the US due to a lack of product liability coverage, I asked. They will however sell you a shock so long as you have an address in Canada to ship it to. And they are NOT cheap.
<br>

p51bombay@comcast.net

Paul Springthorpe

Re: No Maxton in USA

#5 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:03 am

Hi,<p>Didn't know they wouldn't do the USA market. Also of course the $/

Tony in Denver

#6 Post by Tony in Denver » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:57 am

I have an Ohlins on mine and am very happy with it. Be aware though, that Ohlins sometimes needs a reminder of how heavy of spring needs to go on the shock. The RZ uses a 900# spring stock and sometimes Ohlins ships the shock with a 650#. Just clarify this when ordering. Also they can make it with adjustable ride height if you ask, so be sure to ask.<p>I bought mine from Dale Murphy (aka The Mad Beaver) who is omnipresent on this board - even if he's only lurking.<p>Tony in Denver
<br>

mra21@hotmail.com