cooling fan

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Jean-Patrick Lagu

cooling fan

#1 Post by Jean-Patrick Lagu » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:18 pm

I took the cooling fan of my bike, and want to see if it is working.<br>I also have a spare one that i wanted to test, so i put the positive wire of my battery on the blue wire of the fan and the negative wire on the black.<p>Nothing, I can feel a very small buzz inside the fan, but the two fan wont turn ?<p>am i doing this the right way ? someone told me to try and heat up the fan to see if it is a thermostatik fan ?<p>I want to make shure the fan is working before i put it on the bike.<p>thanks<br>jp<p><br>
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

jean-patrick.lague@tva.ca

guyh

Re: cooling fan

#2 Post by guyh » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:14 pm

Heating the fan wont make it work... the thermostatic switch is in the water pipe on top of the rear cylinders. I believe the fan should run off a battery as it is just an electric motor.
<br>

guy_harper@yahoo.com.au

Rob

#3 Post by Rob » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:25 pm

Sounds pretty dead - you did everything right hooking it up, it should have run (unless the battery was low - try it on your car battery if you are unsure.<p>Good news is that the fan does almost nothing except obstruct airflow, so it probably works just as good without it as it does with it.<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Jean-Patrick Lagu

#4 Post by Jean-Patrick Lagu » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:59 am

Thanks for the answers, I have tried on my car battery, nothing.<br>I also have read somewere on this board that the rz500 cooling fan never goes on even on a hot day in trafic, maybe that explaine why bought the cooling fan I have dont work, siting there behind the front wheel doing nothing for 20 years. <p>Or maybe all the rz500 cooling fan are deffective and just dont work ?????<br>hummm, weird<p>jp<br>
<br>

jean-patrick.lague@tva.ca

David Mitchell

#5 Post by David Mitchell » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:17 pm

I removed mine and I live in Houston(it gets a little hot here) and my bike runs just fine.
<br>

daverize@sbcglobal.net

guyh

#6 Post by guyh » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:54 pm

The fans normally do work, the thermostat is set high and does'nt cut them in until things get very hot, I, like some others in warm climates have a bypass switch to manually turn the fan on and off in traffic.
<br>

guy_harper@yahoo.com.au

Ken Smith

#7 Post by Ken Smith » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:23 pm

I'm planing on removing mine and installing one of Lance Gammas new rad. Mounts right where the fan was and is a great improvement on cooling the rear cyl's. Some report having the rear cyl's running cooler than the ft cyl's. Now need to shake some of the change out of my pockets!!
<br>

RDRZRGTZR@att.net

Steen in Denmark

#8 Post by Steen in Denmark » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:05 am

Hi,<p>I just mounted a R1 fan on to my RD500. It is a little bigger, but fits after 15 minutes of reworking the mounting hardware. The plug is the same. After I changed the thermostatic switch to one from a Nissan car, the fan kicks in at 90

Jean-Patrick Lagu

#9 Post by Jean-Patrick Lagu » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:40 am

The two fans are working ok !!!<br>Oups !!!!!<br>I just didn

Ken Smith

#10 Post by Ken Smith » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:42 am

Only one option fixes the rear cyls from running quite a bit hotter than the front cyls
<br>

RDRZRGTZR@att.net

Rob

#11 Post by Rob » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:08 am

JP - when I had my RZ in Canada I just did the manual switch to make me feel better, but never had an issue, not like if you lived in Texas or somewhere. Taking it off sounds like it does as much as having it working and it really doesn't move much air. R1 will definitely not fit, nor will much else - the RZ is so narrow, you have to go aftermarket bodywork to fit much else. I was trying at one point to use a zx-7r radiator and take the tanks off, narrow the core as the shape wasn't bad, but eventually bought Rick Lance's kit and am in the middle of assembly right now - just so you know you loose the thermostat with his kit, so I am not sure how that will affect things, but apparenly it just takes a minute or 2 longer to warm up - i'll let you know once I get it installed - he has sold a bunch of kits, so someone out there may already have one running. There was also someone on the board working on using 2 rc51 or vfr800 rads as they fit inside the bodywork, it will be interesting to see how that works.<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com