Won't idle - dead cylinder

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Kenny

Won't idle - dead cylinder

#1 Post by Kenny » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:01 pm

My 500 has been down since fall '04 while I have been updating to a YZF750 front and rear. <p>Installation complete (I also installed George's remote oil tank and had the fuel tanked modified to accept an R6 Filler/Gas Cap), I started it today, however it will only idle if fully choked and the lower left cylinder is not firing. When I turn the choke off it stalls like fuel starvation. When choked, it will rev like it's supposed to. I ran it with the pop-open gas cap opened to check for vapor lock, but that isn't it. <p>Please advise as I am planning to ride it to MotoGP next weekend. Many thanks guys. <br>
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

jmann60177@sbcglobal.net

Brian

Re: Won't idle - dead cylinder

#2 Post by Brian » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:20 am

Well, I have to assume you pulled the carbs and cleaned'em. <p>Also the choke plungers can hang up in the carbs. That was the first thing that came to mind. <p>I think you can unscrew them with out pulling the carbs, but it's been a while since I've been into this <br>bike, so I'm not 100% sure.<p>It would be nice to tell everybody what you have tried and not tried for us to help you. Who know?
<br>

Elvishead666@aol.com

Kenny

#3 Post by Kenny » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:04 am

Has Wyn's Air Cleaners. New fuel petcock. Carbs where rebuilt/jetted with new needles before I began the YZF upgrade and it carbureted and ran very well. Since the fuel tank was dry, I ran a load of pre-mix to be sure the cylinders were oiling. Auto lube appears to be working fine. The engine has about 17,000kms and has never been apart. Thank you.
<br>

jmann60177@sbcglobal.net

ALAN

#4 Post by ALAN » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:34 am

Do the usual check for spark swap coils if necessary to eliminate electrical fault it will then leave you with fuel/carb problem .If the carbs were not cleaned I would be inclined to go for blocked jet if its been stood since last fall.GOOD LUCK!!
<br>

alantp@tiscali.co.uk

Art

#5 Post by Art » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:28 pm

Please tell me that you have new spark plugs in it.<br>Art
<br>

4munsons@comcast.net

guy

#6 Post by guy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi,<br>Drain the floatbowls and turning the petcock to the position where it will flow without vacumn to see the fuel flow to all carbs is ok.<p>With the airboxes removed ... rev the motor covering a carb mouth with the palm of the hand the carburettor will get a noticeable vacumn and your palm will get wet with fuel if there is any coming through the jets. <p>Also check the plug is getting wet.<p>Then check for spark at the plug, compare the intensity with that of a working cylinder ... swap the <br>plugs over ....<p>regards,<br> Guy<p>
<br>

guy_harper@yahoo.com.au

Art

#7 Post by Art » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:19 am

Kenny,<br>Did you make it to the race?What ended up being the problem with your bike?<br>Art
<br>

4munsons@comcast.net