Brown sludge out of lower exhaust pipes

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Joe for Australia

Brown sludge out of lower exhaust pipes

#1 Post by Joe for Australia » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:39 pm

Hi guys, me again.<p>Recently I have noticed a build up of a light brown coloured sludge deposit on the rim of the lower exhaust pipes. It is the colour of the froth you would find on a coffe-bar prepared espesso. No I'm not trying to turn my RZ into a coffe machine.<p>At first I thought the lower crankcase may have cracked or a head gasket blown and water entering and mixing with the fuel/oil and producing the sludge.<br>Since I noticed this sludge on the pipes I have marked the water level on the filler bottle and since travelled around 500Km and the water level has not changed. I cannot remember what brand oil I have used with the last fill but I know it was differenf from the previous one. <br>In the past I have used different brand and type oil every fill and never experienced any probs, I even mixed organic and synthetic.<p>This sludge only appears on the lower pipes, the upper two are unaffected, I can insert my finger in them and only get carbon soot not carbon soot and brown sludge.<p>Do any of you have experienced this? <br>What could it be?<p>Any ideas will be much appreciated.<p>Regards<p>Joe...
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

j.fittipaldi@bigpond.com

Art

Re: Brown sludge out of lower exhaust pipes

#2 Post by Art » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Joe,<br>It sounds to me like rust/oil in the pipe.Have you been washing the bike lately?What does the plug look like?You could take the pipe off and get a better look,right.<br>As for mixing oils and changing back and forth.....dont do it.You will find out soon that it is not a "myth".Mixing oils (especially synthetic with petrol base)will cause an incredibly high/fast carbon build-up and worse case poor lubrication which can lead to quickly worn engine parts or seizing.I recommend using a synthetic oil and sticking to it.<br>Take care,<br>Art
<br>

4munsons@comcast.net

Joe from Australia

Re: Brown sludge out of lower exhaust pipes

#3 Post by Joe from Australia » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:26 pm

Hi Art,<p>thanks for your reply.<p>I haven't washed the bike recently and did not get it wet in the rain as we are having a mild and dry winter.<br>I have not checked the plugs since I noticed the sludge, it is a good job for Saturday.<p>Thankyou for the oil warning, I too thought it was a myth about the mixing but, now I'll stick to the one type and brand.<p>Regards<p>Joe...
<br>

j.fittipaldi@bigpond.com