DOT 4 Brake Fluid Okay?

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Sam Combs

DOT 4 Brake Fluid Okay?

#1 Post by Sam Combs » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:53 am

Anyone tried DOT4 brake fluid in the stock brakes? I still have the anit-dive in place, but they have been blocked off. I would assume that one has to completely drain out the DOT3.<p>Thanks!
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

samcombs@gci.net

Rob

Re: DOT 4 Brake Fluid Okay?

#2 Post by Rob » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:08 pm

There isn't much of a difference between the 2, dot 4 has a little higher boiling point and is slightly better in most respects, both are glycol based so they are compatible meaning they work with the same types of seals etc. In terms of getting all the dot3 out, you should if you are changing fluid flush the system as the old fluid does take on water, but it is not necessary to completely remove all the old fluid. If you are talking DOT5 which is silicon based, it is a whole different ball of wax, can't mix them at all and the systems use different types of rubber for seals etc, so generally you don't want to put dot5 in a dot3/4 system unless it is spec'd for it.<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Sam Combs

Re: DOT 4 Brake Fluid Okay?

#3 Post by Sam Combs » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:58 pm

Thanks, I'll probably just flush the old 3 out and put in the four. I knew there was something about mixing two types of brake fluid.
<br>

samcombs@gci.net