Tick,Tick,Tick maybe it's a bomb?

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

fabian

Tick,Tick,Tick maybe it's a bomb?

#1 Post by fabian » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:13 pm

hello all, I went to see an "85" today. It's in bad shape cosmetically and will need alot of work(money) to bring to any presentable condition.It started on the second kick, I put my head around the engine and heard tick,tick,tick from the rear cyclinders. Is this common or is it a bomb waiting to go off?(big end bearings?)I couldn't make it out when I bliped the throtle (exhaust too loud)I want to get into ownership but if this engine is going to grenade I'll move on. First post, thanks, Regards Fabian
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

anthony@aquariumservices.com

zalienz

Re: Tick,Tick,Tick maybe it's a bomb?

#2 Post by zalienz » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:45 pm

Yeah, run as fast as you can. Mine made the same tick, tick tick, pulled the rear exhausts and found the rear cylinder pistons melted over the the rings. Before I was done it was a complete overhaul, including a cylinder, bad balancer shaft, and a cracked crankshaft web. I can't tell you how many $100 bills it takes to make it right again. Motor's done, but still working on the rest of the bike. Good Luck, but I'd pass if I were you.......
<br>

rz500@sbcglobal.net

James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus

Re: Tick,Tick,Tick maybe it's a bomb?

#3 Post by James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:10 am

Dear Fabian<br>The tick you can hear is probly the result of a slight seizure which isn't that hard to fix, (RZ500 are notorius for seizing the rear cylinders) but my advice is to be allowed to remove the rear exhausts and with a flash light look inside th motor to see if there are any score marks on the piston, and if so it may be leverage for the seller to lower the price becaus you will up for new pistons, re-hone of the cylinders, and if you don't do the work yourself, lots of labour and then you have to find someone willing to do the work for you (PRO-X pistons $127.00 AUD each, OEM base and head gaskets $130.00 AUD, exhaust gaskets $4.00 AUD each), but then again unless you can do the work yourself or have a friend who can help, these bikes are probly not suitable. but hey, you can always get a manual and have a go, and if you have any more questions don't hesitate to email me and I will give you all the advice needed, cheers mate and good luck.
<br>

extrememotoimports@hotmail.com