Veypor VR2

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Rob

Veypor VR2

#1 Post by Rob » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:13 am

Anyone put a veypor on their RZ? I hooked it up like they said to the orange wire on the coil and set the multiplier and it didn't register anything other than zero - I hooked it up to the pickup circuit and it gets a signal and works, but at idle registers zero, and about 2500 rpm starts to get accurate. I talked to them and they said the pickup isn't a clean enough signal and too low voltage at low rpm's and that the coil should work - I am going to give it another try, but has anyone actually put a Veypor unit on their bike and if so how do you have the tach wire conneted!<p>Thanks,<p>Rob
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Wyn Belorusky

Re: Veypor VR2

#2 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:25 pm

OK, I'll bite. What's a Veypor VR2?
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

Ronnie

#3 Post by Ronnie » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:07 pm

Veypor

Rob

#4 Post by Rob » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:38 pm

The coolest thing ever - for $300 you get digital everything for your bike - digital tach, speedo, g-force gage, does 1/4mile runs, hp estimates etc etc, can also add a timing beacon for the track and a heads up display for your helmet - oh also does the gear you are in.<p>http://www.veypor.com/<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Rick Lance

#5 Post by Rick Lance » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:05 am

Well, everything for your air cooled electronic tach equipped bike, I guess. As bright as these guys are, they sure are blind to the fact that their product replaces the entire instrument dash (and would need to for it to fit) except for one KEY element. I guess they are stymied by the complexities of the modern water temp sender. The VR2 is a great product and makes perfect sense for an upgrade for our bikes. Where's the temp gauge?<p>Rick
<br>

rick@lancegamma.com

Wyn Belorusky

#6 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:20 am

"Where's the temp gauge?"<p>Use the stock one. As you say, you build a new dash incorportaing the Vaypor and the stock temp gauge.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

Rob

#7 Post by Rob » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:01 am

That is what I did - I actually really only wanted it for the Speedo, shift light and maybe the gear selector. The g guage and some of the other stuff 1/4 mile runs etc are cool, but basically I kept the Tach and Temp guage and basically use it for a digital speedo!<p>Temp guage would be nice though, then it could be a full replacement!<p>Mounts horribly also - the RAM mount is a complete POS - they should sell it for 50 bucks less without the mount as the mount is hideous, works horrible and is bigger than the unit it is mounting. I took a small piece of aluminum and mounted the veypor where the speed used to be - much nicer in the end!<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

wolfgang

#8 Post by wolfgang » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:59 am

I will be using a digital dashboard too, but WITH temp display (4 programmable, indipendant analog inputs). This leaves room for EGT gauges, tank sensor, a.s.o.<p>Looks really professional, but is in the area of USD 1000.-<p>See http://www.me-mo-tec.com/html/index2.htm
<br>

wolfgang_hromada@aon.at

Rob

#9 Post by Rob » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:56 am

Yeah - I looked at the AIM stuff and it is far superior, but I just didn't want to spend the money!<p>This is what I really wanted, but it was about $1000<p>http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-chooser.html<br>
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Bill in PA

#10 Post by Bill in PA » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:02 am

Did you try the grey wire that goes to the tach, rather than the coil wire? The signals are probably the same, so it may not work, but I've never looked at the coil wire signals with an oscilloscope to confirm they are the same as the grey tach wire.<p>The low rpm problem is because digital electronics (in the Veypor) look for square wave input that has a VERY fast signal "rise time". In other words, the wave is very square with nice vertical edges. At low RPM, the RZ CDI signal is ruled by the ignition "power" coil which is a "sine" wave with very slow and shallow rise time. It is too slow to trigger digital counters directly.<p>Unless Veypor is willing to help, you may be forced to find a local electronics whiz to talk with Veypor (to find out what the Veypor needs) and build a sampling circuit to provide it. It will probably take a schmitt trigger circuit to sharpen up the low speed signal. The grey tach wire has a 150v square wave signal. It will take a voltage divider to trim that down to levels for CMOS chip input (the schmitt trigger).<p>You cannot run these CMOS chips directly from the RZ 12v system. It is too dirty with noise, The chips will count the crap in the 12v system rather than the tach signal you want. Use an LM317 voltage regulator set for about 9v and a big capacitor to clean up the power to feed the CMOS chips.<p>GFL
<br>

rzbill@hotmail.com