Replacing crank Seals.

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Jeff

Replacing crank Seals.

#1 Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:28 pm

I ask a bunch of people before I dove into this and there did not seem to be a consensus on whether or not you could change the crank seals without splitting the case. Well, you can. By very carefully cutting the rubber "ridge" around the outer enge of the new seal, cleaning the case REAL well and use some Yamahabond and it will go right in. I made a seal driver from a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe. <br>BTW, the seal goes in with the three "pads" molded into the rubber facing in towards the bearing.
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

jwillard@oac-inc.com

Wyn Belorusky

Re: Replacing crank Seals.

#2 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:28 pm

Did you cut the entire ridge off the seal or just sections of it?
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

Rick Lance

#3 Post by Rick Lance » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:46 pm

Cool! I bet it comes out easier too. Yamabond is not an adhesive. It is a sealant and a poor substitute for the rubber ridge that is supposed to fill the groove in the case and hold the seal in place. What's the difference? Positive crankcase pressure is a powerful force. Time will tell. A common cause for crank seal failure on the RZ5 is worn drive side crank bearings allowing excess deflection and wallowing out the seals. There is no way to adequately inspect the crank bearings without removing the cranks, i.e. splitting the cases. Good luck with your experiment
<br>

rick@lancegamma.com

Adam

#4 Post by Adam » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:07 pm

Just because you can do it doesnt mean it should be done. I agree totally with Rick......good luck.
<br>

curtisrz500@hotmail.com

Jeff

#5 Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:47 pm

I cut the whole thing off very carefully with a razor blade. It actually left a tad bit of the ridge.<br>
<br>

jwillard@oac-inc.com

Jeff

#6 Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:56 pm

I'm fully aware that this isn't the "correct" fix but, for those of us without a "stable" full of cool 2 strokes to ride, it will finish out the season at least. Then I have all winter to pull it apart. It's only a $30 seal.<br>I didn't check the clearances but I would think the seal would have a hard time going too far due to the gears and doesn't the crankcase have more negative pressure than positive? <p>
<br>

jwillard@oac-inc.com

Andrew

#7 Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:43 am

You would have been better off deviding it into 6 X 60 degree sections and only cutting off 3 sections and then leaving 3 sections that you'll need to keep a good secure fit.<br>Anyway, if it's a short time mod, I can't see you having any problems.
<br>

andrew.lord@vacon.co.uk

Jason

#8 Post by Jason » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:26 am

It works just fine. We've replaced many crank seals the same way without any problems. <p>Just my .02...
<br>

jmellen@sympatico.ca