RZ500 Winter Project

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

John

RZ500 Winter Project

#1 Post by John » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:47 pm

I haven't started my 85 RZ500 in a couple of years. It has been garaged in Colorado (nice and dry). When I put it to bed I was having an intermittent problem with it that I believed to be electrical. I'm now thinking of a restoration project to take it from fairly-close-to-stock form and add the things these bikes seem to need such as: pipes, forks, rear wheel, carb boring, aftermarket shock, head milling and intake port clean-up. I've been able to find sources for the pipes and the shock. I suspect I can use some solder to determine how much meat I want a machine shop to remove from the heads. I guess my largest quandary is where to locate a complete fork assembly, with triple clamps, from something such as an FZR1000 or YZF750. Since quite a few of these mods have been accomplished by members of this forum, I thought I'd see if anybody can recommend a source for functional front-ends that bolt on with little modification. Of course, any other project recommendations would be welcomed also. If there is a firm in the region that has successfully gone through a few of these bikes, I would consider contracting out some of this work too.<br>Thanks!
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

john.harvill@flightsafety.com

kazz

Re: RZ500 Winter Project

#2 Post by kazz » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:47 pm

I would use a new R6 inverted front end if I were you. The YZf 750 brakes are crap, I know, I ride a YZF750/1000 conversion. I upgraded my rotors to Brembo Ducati and am using R1 calipers. Big difference. I have a YZF inverted on my RZ350 with only one rotor/caliper. outstanding stopping power but really too dated for a nice upgrade. Since there is all this new stuff out there, black anodized forks with nitrated tubes and radial mount calipers. Five spoke rims are super nice.
<br>

kastning@sasktel.net

Paul K

#3 Post by Paul K » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:13 pm

All depends on how much work you want to do. Late '80's FZR1000 front ends bolt on. Have someone like Lindeman make sure they are straight, proper oil, springs, etc. Late model brakes will bolt on, speedo works and you can use a 17" front wheel. Get a late '80's FZR100 rear wheel, 4.5"x18", you can then put modern rubber front and back, and up to 160 size tire on back with no problem, and a stock swingarm. Unless you race it, the stock arm is fine. Pitch the stock shock, I went to a Works Performance shock for about $600.00 custom made to fit my size and works great. Heres the fun part; go on ebay, motorcycle parts, narrow your search to " Yamaha FZR", and you will find everything you need very cheap. Have fun.<p>Paul K
<br>

paulkjeweler@sbcglobal.net

Tony in Denver

#4 Post by Tony in Denver » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:56 am

Hello John,<p>So the bike was stored in Colorado - are you (and it) still in Colorado? If so, I'd be happy to let you take a look at mine up close so you can see what works and what doesn't, etc...<p>I've changed forks, wheels, pipes, carbs, pretty much everything.<p>Holler at me if you want.<p>Tony Baker<br>720-941-5016
<br>

mra21@hotmail.com

Scott

#5 Post by Scott » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:15 pm

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't think these bikes "need" anything. Mine is bone stock and I love it! Of course it won't run with modern sportbikes chasis wise, but for me I'll never really push the bike past it's limits. The suspension does wallow around a bit in bumpy corners, though (that's OK, just reminds me to slow down a little).<p>Didn't mean to hijack your thread, just my 2 cents.<p>Scott<p><p>
<br>

ssmacdon@hotmail.com

John

#6 Post by John » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:25 pm

Scott,<p>I raced it in 600 Production class, essentially stock, for a couple of seasons in the late 80's. It "needed" something then.<p>John
<br>

Scott

#7 Post by Scott » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:55 pm

Well, truth be told, I ride like the old man I'm becoming! <p>For racing, that's a different story, but on public roads I probably couldn't (nor would I want to) ride near the bikes limit.<p>To each his own. I like to try to make my bikes as close to nice stock examples that I can. Just my thing.<br> <br>Scott
<br>

ssmacdon@hotmail.com

John

#8 Post by John » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:11 pm

Well, that's why I've also kept it stock for so long, and I'm torn about modifying it. But I hate that my RZ350 wheelies, stoppies and goes fast so easily, while my RZ500 is just neat to own. I too am an old man and shouldn't want to do those things, but I've been on 2-strokes for over 30 years (yes, I have an R5-C too) and I've always felt that Yamaha could've done the big RZ just a bit better. Now I think I'm ready to throw some money at it so I can have the bike I wanted it to be when I bought it. I can't ever bring myself to sell a motorcycle so I might as well mod it.
<br>

Tony in Denver

#9 Post by Tony in Denver » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:14 am

I had Martin Marino at Madman Engineering do my motor. He was reasonable and the turn-around was excellent!<p>Rather than butcher up your nice stocker, why not buy my track bike that's already had all the mods you're looking for. It would cost you less to buy mine than to modify yours... ;~)<p>Tony
<br>

mra21@hotmail.com

gmanhevner

#10 Post by gmanhevner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:55 pm

hey Tony, I'm considering the madman engine, for my RZ500, is it affordable?
<br>

g_manhevner@yahoo.com

Tony in Denver

#11 Post by Tony in Denver » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:40 am

Affordable as you want it to be...<p>I went full-out with carbs and everything, but in checking around Martin was still right in line (or perhaps a bit less expensive) than some of the other guys out there. What impressed me the most was his turn-around and genuine enthusiasm for how the thing worked after I got it back. He still calls me from time to time to see how things are going.<p>Tony
<br>

mra21@hotmail.com