Anyone had issue shutting an RZ off?

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Rob

Anyone had issue shutting an RZ off?

#1 Post by Rob » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:31 pm

I haven't had time to even take a look yet, but everything is working fine, except the ignition key doesn't turn the motor off - it turn off all the instrumentation, but the engine keeps on running - I have to shut it off with the handlebar kill switch. <p>Anyone ever seen this issue, hoping to save some time before getting out the service manual and volt meter to start tracing wires.<p>Thanks,<p>Rob
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Bill in PA

Re: Anyone had issue shutting an RZ off?

#2 Post by Bill in PA » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:32 am

There is a break somewhere in the grounding path from the CDI unit through the ignition switch to the frame. The CDI does NOT need 12v to run, and is not connected to the battery. It will run on its own. It must be grounded when the ignition switch is in the off position for it to be killed.<p>Look at the wiring schematic to identify the wires.
<br>

rzbill@hotmail.com

Rob

#3 Post by Rob » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:45 am

Thanks Bill - I will take a look at where the ground off the ignition goes and see what is up - knowing this, I may now what the issue is, since I recently moved the ground that is back near the battery box and that may have done it - it may not be grounding well in the new location.<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

mark350lc

#4 Post by mark350lc » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:20 am

Hi Rob,<br>I had the exact same problem after rebuilding mine. I tried a spare ignition barrel and that cured it. <p>Cheers, Mark
<br>

mark@fjhalliwell.freeserve.co.uk

Rob

#5 Post by Rob » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:18 pm

Bill - found it - beleive it or not, it was jut the plug from the ignition to the harness - the ground terminal had bent a little and was going in between the layers of plastic instead of actually connecting with the other side - took about 5 minutes to find - thought it was the switch, but they unplugged it just to check for corrosion or anything, even though I used dielectric grease and cleaned everything.<p>ROb
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Bill in PA

#6 Post by Bill in PA » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:22 pm

Good Show.<p>Glad to have helped.
<br>

rzbill@hotmail.com