YZR500 Seat Unit

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Paul Springthorpe

YZR500 Seat Unit

#1 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:37 am

Hi,<p>I have a 1992(ish) Wayne Rainey fibre glass seat unit - however its only 37cm wide where the expansion pipes run - There is another type of seat available like on Wyn's and Wolfgang's bike which is approx 40cm wide - Any idea's where I can buy this type of fibreglass seat and what the prices are like.<br>I've spotted one at Airtech - do they ship outside of the USA ?? - Does anyone have a e-mail address for them - I can only see phone and fax numbers on their web-site <p>Thanks<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

paul@springthorpe74.freeserve.co.uk

Wyn Belorusky

Re: YZR500 Seat Unit

#2 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:47 pm

Paul - my 91 YZR 500 tail section is narower than the Airtech unit and a lot narrower than 37CM.<p>Here's their contact page:<p>http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/mis ... us.html<br>
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

Paul Springthorpe

#3 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi Wyn,<p>Thanks for the info.<br>Are you sure your seat is narrower than 37cm ( approx 14.6 inches) ?? that would be quite narrow - strange about all the different dimensions - perhaps some teams had custom rear seats rather than factory Yamaha ??<p>I checked the Airtech site - but can't see a e-mail address on it - perhaps I have a browser problem ?<p>Cheers<br>Paul
<br>

Wyn Belorusky

#4 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:59 pm

"Are you sure your seat is narrower than 37cm ( approx 14.6 inches) ?? that would be quite narrow.<p>It's very narrow, I had to have custom pipes made to fit under it.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

Rob

#5 Post by Rob » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:26 pm

Airtech makes nice glass, but has one of the worst websites in the world - it is horrilbe - I offered to fix all the broken links and things that don't work for a discount about a year ago and they didn't take me up on it - everything is still working that didn't work a year ago. These guys are actually proud of the work and plaster it all over their website that they are responsible for this travisty http://www.digitalnothing.com/Main/clie ... 9<p>Anyway - tech@airtech-streamlining.com works and you can try sales@airtech-streamlining.com - it still works.<p>FYI - on the contact page in the middle of the graphic is a little round icon you can hardly see that says email and it doesn't have a link embedded - hasn't worked in a year - you wonder how much business they loose because of this?<p>Hope this helps.<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Paul Springthorpe

#6 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:17 am

Hi Rob,<p>Many thanks for the info.<br>Lets hope that Airtech's quality and customer service is better than their website !!!<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>

Paul Springthorpe

#7 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:22 am

Hi Wyn,<p>I was thinking average pipes 2 x 10cm plus about 18cm for the tyre at full travel between the pipes = miniumum of 38cm wide seat unit without any allowanced for seat sub-frame - just wished I'd had the sense to measure the seat before I bought it.<p>Thanks<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>

Paul Springthorpe

#8 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:10 am

Hi,<p>Can anyone tell me how wide the Airtech YZR500 seat unit is please ??<p>Many thanks.<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>

Rob

#9 Post by Rob » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:39 am

Can't be a lot worse - I have talked to them several times in the past and they are good on the phone, email again is computer related, so may not be good. <p>They do however make a nice product - wish the yzr500 stuff was a reasonable price though - it is nice!
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Paul Springthorpe

#10 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:48 am

Hi Rob,<p>There is a firm in the UK that does 1991/92 YZR500 bodywork for much less than Airtech - however the seat is 3cm too narrow for my expansion chamber setup<p>See <p>www.fairings.co.uk<p>Strangely they aren't so good on the computer side but are very nice to deal with on the phone.<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>

rob

#11 Post by rob » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:50 am

I will check them out - I think the airtech unit is narrower also for the yzr, but they do make a solo seat for the RZ that I had on my last one that fits well over the expansion chambers, but doesn't look quite as nice as the YZR one!
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

wolfgang

#12 Post by wolfgang » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:59 am

Wyn,<br>I think I have the same seat than you (it actually seems to be from you). Mine is 40cm at the widest point. I also customized the upper JOLLYMOTOs to make them fit under the seat.<br>There is a guy though (Sig Emerald) you fitted standard pipes under this seat just by moving them in as far as possible with spacers betwenn the mounting tabs and the rearframe. <p>Wolfgang
<br>

wolfgang_hromada@aon.at

Wyn Belorusky

#13 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:28 am

I make 91 YZR 500 body work and sell it for less than Airtech. E-mail me directly for details.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

Wyn Belorusky

#14 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:35 am

I just measured the mold for my tail section. The widest point in the mold is 37mm, which makes the inside dimention of the piece smaller.<p>Sig used the Airtech 90 YZR 500 tail section which is considerably wider than mine.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

BigRog

#15 Post by BigRog » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:46 am

Hi All<p>37mm - I hope this was 37cm, else it would be a bit painful to use! <p>R
<br>

rc.key@ntlworld.com