Clutch???

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Nick

Clutch???

#1 Post by Nick » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:06 pm

My clutch is fried and needs to be replaced.<br>What do you guys recommend?<br>Stock, Barnett, or??<br>Thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

geakins@adelphia.net

Wyn Belorusky

Re: Clutch???

#2 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:43 pm

Nick - I've had a stock clutch in my bike for over 20,000 miles and it works fine.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

Dale R Murphy

#3 Post by Dale R Murphy » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:07 am

Stock or EBC.<p>Dale
<br>

madbeaver@ripnet.com

matt

#4 Post by matt » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:18 am

Barnett in mine , works like it should .......
<br>

creswell5@cableone.net

Nick

#5 Post by Nick » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:07 pm

How much of a pain in the ass is it to change it?<p>Is there any other gaskets to change other than the clutch cover?<p>Do you need to drain the coolant and remove the hoses connected to the clutch cover?<p>Any special tools to removing the clutch basket nut?<p>I have not done this before.<p>Thanks
<br>

geakins@adelphia.net

Gareth

#6 Post by Gareth » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:17 am

I have only ever used stock 500 clutches in all 6 of mine. Never had a problem until the springs 'soften' up. Never even seen a plate that has worn anywhere near the low limit. I hate EBC crap...its mickey mouse pattern sh*te IMO...I know someone that knows Mr. Freeman (Mr. EBC himself), he makes brake discs for him, he says "EBC have profit margins that influence the quality of their products way more than they should". <br>I would fit a set of Yamaha plates and some new springs..dont care if you've got 110bhp it wont bother the stock clutch. Use motorcyle gear oil wont you ... not some mega expensive additive packed 'turbo' 'fury dice' car engine oil.
<br>

gareth.evans9@btinternet.com

Rob

#7 Post by Rob » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:33 am

Same plates as an R1, so should handle the power of an RZ without a sweat - the clutch was always billed as way overkill for the bike - thing it has origins back to the TZ750!
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Paul K

#8 Post by Paul K » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:05 am

The clutch is the same size as a TZ750/OW31 4 cylinder water cooled race bike from the late '70's. The onhly difference is that the RZ one is a wet clutch, the racebikes are dry clutches. If you can only get original parts, it will be more than sufficient, as the 705's back then made about 140hp, and they survived fine.<p>Paul K
<br>

paulkjeweler@sbcglobal.net