NEW Cast cylinders or Top Case for the RZ500???

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Bill Wilson

NEW Cast cylinders or Top Case for the RZ500???

#1 Post by Bill Wilson » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:05 am

Hello Fellow Club Members and Future Club Members:<p>I've been talking with some real creative folks at a cylinders foundary lately. Discussions have turned to producing cylinders or a new top case for the RZ500. Cylinders would seem to be too costly at this point but the top case is more of a possibility. This would allow for the fitment of a predetermined cylinders readily available, like Ralf Kras has done with the RS250 Arilia cylinders.<p>My question to the international club community is who would want such an opportunity and what would you be willing to pay for the top case. This would be a carb in the "V" setup with large reed cages feeding all case induction cylinders no piston reed cylinders.<p>Opinions, comments let me know. Let's get this ball rolling and we can pool our resources to get some real power.<p>Not to negate other tuners or my own ability but putting 80-100 hours of grinding into the RZ's stock cylinders to get some 120HP seems futile anymore if there could be a bolt on item made cheaper if our resources were pooled to get it done.<p>This foundery has to "set up" everything which usually costs around $30K for a set of cylinders. If we could reduce that to around $20K and give him a for sure quantity of top cases to be sold he would be very interested. A minimum of 50 top cases would need to be spoken for before any production would begin to guarantee his margin in the project.<p>Post back your thoughts and comments here.<p>Regards,<br>Bill Wilson<br>Wilson Performance<br>Lee's Summit, MO<br>Member RZ500 Owners Group #573
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

WVWRZ500N@aol.com

Mike Cichetti

Re: NEW Cast cylinders or Top Case for the RZ500???

#2 Post by Mike Cichetti » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:19 am

Bill, I'd certainly be interested. I think it might be good to have a reasonably complete package in mind like cylinders, carbs, reeds etc. That way you would know everything necessary for a a complete running engine.
<br>

gpkotbh@aol.com

wolfgang

#3 Post by wolfgang » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:00 am

I am interested too. But as Mike said, a complete set should be offered or at list a detailled "bill of material" provided, incl. recommended carbs, basic carb setup for JollyMoto/Nikon/JL pipes etc. if you want to sell 50 pcs.<br>Price should be below USD 1000.-, idealy around USD 500.-<br>APRILIA RS250 cylinders are easy to get in Europe, but be careful, their stock exhaust valves are known for falling into the cylinder so almost every RS250 rider changes the exhaust valves to pretty expensive, but reliable aftermarket devices.<p>A modification of the YPVS controller or use of another device for controlling the exhaust valves should also be offered since the RZ500 unit would not work anymore.<p>I would gladly spend a couple of thousand dollars for a complete, plug-and play conversion set incl. top case, 4 cylinders, 4 pistons, reeds, carbs, exhaust valves, controller etc if it is proven to work without a lot of experimenting.<p>Slightly tuned, an RS250 easily provides 65-70RWHP.<br>Multiply it by 2, deduct 10-15% of losses and you still have 120RWHP....<p>all 4 carbs should idealy be inline, a real carb bank.
<br>

wolfgang_hromada@aon.at

Paul K

#4 Post by Paul K » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:02 am

Holy Horsepower Billman!<p>GREAT IDEA whose time has come. My suggestion for cylinders are ones that are VERY mass produced, such as Yamaha 125 MX barells. Aprillia makes fantastic bikes, but getting barrells would be expensive compared to something that there are lots of. Would the 125mx barells be close enough to use? That way, there would be readily available pistons, carb and pipe technology, and would make plenty of power. Great idea.<p>Paul K.
<br>

paulkjeweler@sbcglobal.net

wolfgang

#5 Post by wolfgang » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:02 am

The price of 500.- is for the top engine case only.
<br>

wolfgang_hromada@aon.at

Maurizio

#6 Post by Maurizio » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:23 pm

Hello Bill,<br>I did get a almost complete set from Ralf Krass...<br>One thing to consider is the coupling with the lower half of the case...they are being machined togheter to respect the right tollerances for crank bearing ect...so the idea to make only the top case, would need sending you also the bottom and at least finish the machining of the bearing cavity...<br>The chances to perfectly machine this is very slim...without making them bigger.<br>Price wise, the job that Ralf did, was just over what Wolfgang was giving for a limit...and I'm still missing power valve+ set up and manifold between carbs and reeds. <br>Actullay, since real 2 stroke carb banks are not easy to find, not cheap...I'm missing also injection controller and sensors, software and interface with the pc.........<br>It will take me a while more....but I'm getting there sooner or later............<br>PS: keep me informed Bill...
<br>

info@vdueusa.com

Eric

#7 Post by Eric » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:35 pm

I'll buy two sets, let me know....<p>Eric
<br>

rzv500r@aol.com

Dan

#8 Post by Dan » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:04 pm

I'd be game as well, for at least one set(up).<p>If you can pull this together, I'll have to <br>start and finish building the second bike just<br>to justify tearing down the first for this...<p>My only comment on cylinders would be that if<br>the RS250 units make sense, physically, then perhaps<br>one of our kind European counterparts can help put<br>a group buy together.<p>Or there are still a number of small-bore 2strokes<br>made for road use in Japan. If one of those models<br>could become a donor, we might be able to leverage<br>the Japan Owners group.<p>Dan
<br>

dan_austin@fitawi.com

Paul Springthorpe

#9 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:20 am

Hi,<p>The Aprilia RS250 engine is in fact made by Suzuki !!!<br>ie Suzuki RGV250 - I assume there are some customer specific changes for Aprilia ?? - I would think enquire at<p>http://www.rgv250.co.uk/forums/index.php<p>These guys have a lot of knowledge about Suzuki RGV250's and Aprilia RS250's<p>Just in case my point isn't clear for the US and Canadian guys - the RGV250 was a very popular bike in Europe and there were a lot more of them around than the Aprilia RS250<p>Hope this helps<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>

paul@springthorpe74.freeserve.co.uk

Bill Wilson

#10 Post by Bill Wilson » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:32 am

Paul,<p>You are correct in that the bottom end of the Aprilia RS is made by Suzuki. However, the cylinders are their own design and not the same a OEM Suzuki RGV.<p>Regards,<br>Bill Wilson<br>Wilson Performance<br>Lee's Summit, MO<br>Member RZ500 Owners Group #573
<br>

WVWRZ500N@aol.com

Paul Springthorpe

#11 Post by Paul Springthorpe » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:41 am

Hi Bill,<p>It might be better to go for the RGV250 cylinders ??since they are easier to get hold of than the RS250's<br>Also of course Aprilia aren't doing too well at the moment and it might be that the Suzuki spares will be available over a longer period of time ??<p>Regards<br>Paul
<br>

paul@springthorpe74.freeserve.co.uk