Running stock upper pipes without heat shields

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

Scott

Running stock upper pipes without heat shields

#1 Post by Scott » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:47 pm

Has anyone removed the chrome heat shields from the upper pipes? Can they be run "bare" - any issues with even more heat in the seat/tail? What about wrapping the first half of the pipes instead?<p>I have a set I want to use but someone cut the shields off.<p>Thanks,<br>Scott
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

ssmacdon@hotmail.com

Steen in Denmark

Re: Running stock upper pipes without heat shields

#2 Post by Steen in Denmark » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:51 pm

Scott,<p>I have removed the shileds on mine and have wrapped them. Works like a charm.<p>/Steen
<br>

steen.lokke@tiscali.dk

James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus

#3 Post by James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:36 am

Dear Scott,<br>I removed the heat sheilds on the upper pipes so could have the restored and then I wrapped them Thermo Tech heat wrapping from the manifold to the first mounting bolt, this product is available from Rocket Industries in Australia. The product comes 50ft' x 2" wide and is enough to do both pipes top and bottom if required and you have to start wrapping from the back to the front and secure it at the manifold using a stainless steel hose clamp. Good luck with that and email me if you would like a photo of the ones I have done.
<br>

extrememotoimports@hotmail.com

Wyn BElorusky

#4 Post by Wyn BElorusky » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:19 am

I would advise against wrapping the lower pipes. I know it should be done to have all the pipes the same, however, if you get caught and ride in the rain, the wrap retains moisture and will rust through your pipes. This almost happened to me, fortunately I wanted to paint my lower pipes after awhile, so I took the wrap off for painting and found the damage. The pipes were saved, but just barely.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

#5 Post by James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 am

Sorry Wyn,<br>I should have made myself clear, but I don't ride in the rain, if I can help it, and I have had the standard pipes HPC ceramic coated in satin black and have only run the wrap on the bottom pipes from the header connection to just after were the belly pan ends, and to be sure to be sure I sprayed the wrapping with a water proof sealant, do think this would be OK, cheers for the advice. And by the way have you sold your bike yet ?
<br>

Wyn Belorusky

#6 Post by Wyn Belorusky » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:12 am

James - ok, just wanted to make sure, didn't want any rusted through pipes out there. There are times you have to ride in the rain weather you want to or not!<p>My bike hasn't sold yet, I still have it.
<br>

RZVWyn@aol.com

#7 Post by James Hunter (CLUB RZ Aus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:17 pm

Dear Wyn,<br>Your bike should be on display for all to see, not sold to some creatin who would'nt appreciate it, I whish I had the money to by it, but I already own 2 RZ's and I am interested in staying married, cheers mate.
<br>