RZV - a very unique model

RZ-RD-RZV.... and everything in between

Moderator: rztom

Masterbill

RZV - a very unique model

#1 Post by Masterbill » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:23 am

Masterbill wrote:Hello again,

On my RZV it has a single piece 2 stroke oil tank, does the 47x have this and the 1GE have a twin tank system?
Steve is correct - the earlier production models came with black plastic tanks for both oil and coolant, while the later production units were equipped with greenish-colored see-thru tanks. It's also interesting to note that the Canadian 52X and Aussie 53G RZ models retained the same 3-digit prefix throughout the 3 production runs, while the RD models were separated by the change in 47X and 1GE prefixes between the 1st and 2nd production runs. :cool:

Masterbill - all RZ/RD/RZV variants came with 2-stage, linked oil tanks, so if your RZV has only one tank, then someone has removed the smaller subtank on your bike.... :shock:

-Tom

(Thread moved) :cool:

Masterbill

#2 Post by Masterbill » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Hello,

rztom said,
Masterbill - all RZ/RD/RZV variants came with 2-stage, linked oil tanks, so if your RZV has only one tank, then someone has removed the smaller subtank on your bike....
Well - have a look at this

This is taken from my RZV parts manual !

The plot thickens :!:
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s

rztom
Site Admin

#3 Post by rztom » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:45 pm

I'll be damned. Well, this isn't the first time you guys have proven me wrong.... :D

That parts manual pretty much is conclusive evidence. I did not know that. I've never had an opportunity to look over an RZV parts or shop manual, but when I've been around RZVs, that little difference has never been discussed or even mentioned. Nor has it been discussed here before, I don't think.

How odd that Yamaha left out the sub-tank on RZVs. Is that true of ALL RZVs, or just early or late production variations? Like you said Masterbill... the plot thickens. Do you happen to know the production date of your RZV?

Tell you what... so as not to hijack Steve's thread on the 47X vs 1GE, I'll open up a new thread for RZVs and move this discussion there.... :cool:

Jordi YZR500
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Jordi YZR500 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:27 pm

For some difference between models, check this out:

http://www.rd500ypvs.co.uk/RZV500R.htm
AKA: Jordi RS 250

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by rzatch » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:36 am

It looks like there were three different handlebars used based off of the pics on the UK site and what was posted here. It's amazing that a bike with such a short run period could have so many differences. Unless the parts are from different models and were available during the different production runs and were used to fill the demand. But they seem to be model specific and no one has mentioned them looking something that was used on this or that. Seeing how Yamaha is the parts bin company it wouldn't have surprised me but this doesn't seem to be the case. The many mysteries continue. :shock:

Masterbill

#6 Post by Masterbill » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Hello,

rztom said,
Do you happen to know the production date of your RZV?
No not really, I believe it was imported through South Africa in 1990, it`s declared manufacture date is 1987.

Not knowing anything much about "grey imports" I don`t know if it was normal for bikes to come through South Africa at that time.

Grey imports were quite a big business for some time in the Uk.
My chassis/engine no is 51X002576 - does this help date it?

Going back to the main topic - I only checked the book because you got me thinking that my bike had a bit missing :shock: I`d never really taken any notice that it didn`t have the twin tank setup.

When I got the bike it was like that and I assumed that that was how it should be.

My bike is not by any means "mint" and I know that there are a few bits and pieces wrong/missing on it.

But I love it anyway :grin: - just recently there seems to have been a large influx of bikes appearing - in the Uk there were 20 from a Japenese collection and on UK ebay there has been quite a few sold recently and some appear to be in very good condition. :cool:

Still I`m wandering off the subject a bit :smile:

Most people know that the RZV has an ali frame, but with the ali frame you need an RZV sidestand - if my memory is correct the bolt holes are a different pitch- also I believe that I`m right in saying that the engine
mounts on the frame are removable on the RZV and that they are fixed on the steel frame. Also the rear sub frame bolt is a different length.

Don`t forget that the mirrors, indicators are different and that the RZV does not have the grab handle on the back.

Cheers Bill
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

jackson.40

#7 Post by jackson.40 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:33 pm

I found a photo of a unrestored rzv and this is how it left the factory.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/ ... 000122.jpg

Masterbill

#8 Post by Masterbill » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Hello,

This is getting good !
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

rztom
Site Admin

#9 Post by rztom » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:45 pm

I split this thread guys, as you were getting a little off-topic for this thread.... :cool:

Great pic of the RZV oil tank setup, Steve - reinforces the info Masterbill had posted. If only I had known this earlier.... several years ago I had decided to remove the sub-tank from the oil injection system as I really didn't see a need for it, and it obviously added unnecessary weight. But in doing so you are left with the two, different diameter feed hose sizes.... :-(

I ended up having to machine a double-barb hose reducer from alloy, when if I had known, I could of just sourced that simple, plastic one used on the RZV setup (part # 6 in the exploded view above).... :shock: :smile: oh well....

fredjee

#10 Post by fredjee » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:57 am

Jordi YZR500 wrote:For some difference between models, check this out:

Sorry,

I've just realised how little information there realy is on my page :shock:

It was all done many years ago :???:

Perhaps I should make some time to sit down and get things done right with RD / RZ / RZV 500 diffrences highlited a little better with better quality pictures :-?

I took the battery off my '' Old Nail '' ( Said Lovingly ) to give it a charge ready for its handfull of rides it will get this year .....

She still looks so good even after all these years ( 7 i Think ) ....

Fred.

Jordi YZR500
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by Jordi YZR500 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:21 pm

fredjee wrote:
Jordi YZR500 wrote:For some difference between models, check this out:

Sorry,

I've just realised how little information there realy is on my page :shock:

It was all done many years ago :???:

Perhaps I should make some time to sit down and get things done right with RD / RZ / RZV 500 diffrences highlited a little better with better quality pictures :-?

I took the battery off my '' Old Nail '' ( Said Lovingly ) to give it a charge ready for its handfull of rides it will get this year .....

She still looks so good even after all these years ( 7 i Think ) ....

Fred.
Ooops, Hi Fred!

Very interesting page BTW. :lol:
AKA: Jordi RS 250

jackson.40

#12 Post by jackson.40 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Guys,I have just found another difference with the rzv and the 47x/1ge.I have just brought a new rzv500 front fairing stay and found this.
The first photo is a 47x/1ge front fairing stay.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/ ... 070017.jpg

Here is the new rzv500 stay
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/ ... 070020.jpg

And here is the note which came with the new stay
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/ ... 070021.jpg

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by rzatch » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:00 pm

Steve I don't think the difference is in the stay, they look the same to me. As you know the collars are welded to the frame on the 47 and 1ge frames, kind of odd that they didn't do it to the RZV frame also or make the mounting lug wider.

rztom
Site Admin

#14 Post by rztom » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:56 pm

Ron - you're close - actually the collars are welded to the stay... take a close look at Steve's 1st pic and notice the collars welded to the stay on the right side - then look at his 2nd pic... no collars.

Here's why.... RZV frame stay mount point

Obviously WAY different, and wider as well.... hence no need for the collars, so the part Steve has added to his collection is what I would call a "universal" fitment... :cool:

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by rzatch » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:52 pm

Yeah I see it now that you pointed it out. I was going off of memory which I'm finding is fading faster than Nicky Hayden. :sad: Next time I won't reply without having a bike to look at first. :???: