500 Two-Stroke Tech

500cc GP-Replica Tech Forums

Search  FAQ  Register Login
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Which way should we build this bike?
Should Be Totally Stock And Original 31%  31%  [ 17 ]
Build A Modded Stock Bike 41%  41%  [ 22 ]
Let's Build A Monster 28%  28%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 54
 Post subject: How should we build it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

This will be the first of many polls I see that we'll need to get this bike built to everyone's satisfaction. I'll let this poll run for a while to give all who wish to participate a chance to give us some feedback.

Only after we have received enough votes to pick a lane on this will Gus begin the process.

Option 1 - Should we build a totally stock, original-as-possible machine, with all stock components, bodywork and paint?

Option 2 - As we've seen in many forum members' builds lately, there is a trend toward building a more modern version of the original RZ/RD 500, incorporating modern engine and chassis techniques, and wrapping them in fairings that are either modded originals or adapted from other bikes to fit. Should we go this route?

Option 3 - Build a monster 2-stroke that uses the base V-4 engine as a starting point, but features larger displacement, different intakes/carburetion, a custom frame, custom bodywork, modern suspension/wheels and other non-stock components/ideas? This of course will be the most costly, time-consuming route but could result in a truly one-off original machine we could call our own....

Please post up comments/suggestions too. Bring your ideas to the table.... :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:30 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

Monster!!! :grin: I'm not scared.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:32 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

I didn't vote, yet - I'm just thinking out loud....

If I understand correctly, this bike will be offered up for sale, to bring in money for this website.

If that's true, maybe the easiest (to get parts) and cheapest way would be best - in other words - not option #3 (the monster bike).

Also, if the bike is sold to the public, wouldn't a nice stock presentation bring in the most money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:46 pm 

I haven't voted yet either, but it seems that we should build a stock bike to start with to sell. By building a stock example, it shows what our "club" stands for. I personally feel that building a monster bike would be a hell of alot more fun though!
Bruce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:46 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

I think Smoker is right.
And a stock build will allow for less disagreements to the build group as to what the bike needs.
As a group, we could offer up some of our extra stock parts for the build too.
It's a noble undertaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:42 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

recession recession recession(sp) I think a stock bike would be the route to go. There's a lot more people that can afford 5,000 than 10,000. Plus who pays for all the fancy stuff and who gets it if we can't sell it a the amount invested??? I think the kiss method on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:04 pm 
- - - - -
- - - - -

Yeh, I think stocker is the way to go.
What if we got Kenny Roberts Snr to do a photo with the bike, maybe autograph it or something. That would make it a little special with a bit of PR for the club and of course more saleable.
Course we need someone who know KR.
Adrian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:55 pm 

A monster would be the ultimate, but I have to agree with the others. STOCK!
And yea the KR sig would be the icing on the cake....I mean bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:45 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

I voted for option # 2. The mods would not necessarily make it more expensive. Some aftermarket / current production parts from other bikes could be cheaper than original stuff (front fork swaps,swingarm etc.).
Something old ,something new,lots of it borrowed, maybe blue?
But that's probably another poll topic :smt003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:55 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

Eddie Lawason signed a couple of club t-shirts a few years ago that I was lucky enough to get one of from Wyn. :grin: Away maybe he could sign it if KR won't or maybe both of them. After all Lawson is member #1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:05 am 
- - - - -
- - - - -

I've dealt with both, and I will say I think after talking to Kenny he wanted to beat me up :shock: now Eddie on the other hand was about as cool as they come I had my 10 year old son with me and he was racing the 200 for V&H and he looked up from a table he was eating at with team engineers and saw me and my son standing there with this photo,stopped everything called my son into the garage signed his picture his coat and then thanked me, I was in shock, that guy is the coolest world champ ever,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 am 

Eddie will be at a local charity ride this Sunday and a few of us local guys are going to try and track him down at the event. We're meeting up at rztom's place which is just down the road from the event. Looks to be a good time and a group of smokers to mingle in with the crowd.

http://breatheeasyride.net/FRAME.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:07 pm 

Build-style - I'm a relative noob on this forum, but I've been reading it for a few years, if not posting much.

I'd say the 'concours restoration' category has been well and truly won by Mr Jackson. By the same token, there's also a lot of specials out there, based on either improving what Yamaha provided, adding what should have been there, or in some cases aiming for what they might release were we to get a new RZ/RD.

I'd like to see a monster - something that brought together the ideas from everyone that's been doing phenomenal things on this board. Fuel injected, big bored, stroked, common induction system, properly cooled, properly exhausted and in a chassis with modern handling. That would seem to me to be far more of an example of what the forum was about than a nut-and-bolt-perfect original. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there already is one.

Of course, that's easy to say, because I'm not the one building it :smt002 Unfortunately, nor do I have enough parts to complete my own build yet, let alone donate to the project...

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:41 pm 

totaly stock and original is a target that most likely will fail as from jacksons work and our knowledge as owners we have seen the difficulty to find some parts is huge
if we can keep the style classic like it will the best so 2nd choice with no UPD front banana swingarms and fat rims it will be ideal at my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:52 pm 

The big difference from Mr. Jacksons, is that this one doesn't have to be built from nos parts,or be an absolute pristine example. If we build a good looking "stock" bike, and accept some minor flaws, (like you would find on Ebay) then the chances for a quick and proifitable sale seem better.
Bruce.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next