Mickey Krupa Tribute Build Thread

Working together to finish Mickey's RZ500!

Moderator: rztom

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#121 Post by jak167 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:10 am

mr426f,

Thanks for the offer of gauges. I have a stock set but wanted something a bit more modern. Chose the RX-2 dash from Koso. Needed the pic to mock a dash bc I have the mount the Koso to the dash.

John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#122 Post by jak167 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Well, I've been promising pics of the RZ500 for a while and finally got my head out of my a$$ so here they are. Sorry some are a little blurry, taken with my phone.

Left Front

Left Side

Right Rear

Right Front

So that's the basic overview. Suspension is on (but new penske shock not installed bc of remote resevoir location not decided). Wire harness in, YPVS installed, stock rearsets installed, controls, etc.

John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#123 Post by jak167 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Now, some additional stuff. Got the rear oil tank installed. Don't know where Mick got it. I know he didn't make it. Maybe previous owner had it and never did anything with it.

Next, for the more technical stuff. :smt032 I got the new dash from Koso, the RZ-2. Did a mock-up dash from cardboard (thanks for the pick Aaron), then made a more sturdy mock-up from press board. Got the RX-2 mounted and have extra space in case I want to addon (ie: gear indicator, etc).

Next, the one that took me the whole weekend to complete, creating the mount for the Zeel, installing the Zeel, wiring the Zeel using the stock connectors cut from the stock CDI/YPVS controllers, and wiring the RX-2.

I mounted the Zeel here based upon John's (RD's Only) recommendation. You can get access even with fairing on. He posted a link and will mail anyone the PDF's for the install, they really helped. Thanks John!!

Also, I got the USB cable for the Zeel software for your laptop (I'm a bit of a tech geek). Anyway, the software's really easy to use and understand. It makes programming Zeel much easier than using the handheld programmer. Plus, using the USB connection allows you to prgram the Zeel regardless of whether the bike is turned on, or even installed! :smt103 Guess it powers it from the laptop. So, I was able to put the Ign Map from the manual, and a more hopped up map already into the Zeel, even though nothings hooked up.

One to the RX-2 in the next post!

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#124 Post by jak167 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Now the RX-2. This one was more difficult bc I didn't have John's easy to use instructions. I had to map out the wires from the stock gauges, reconfirm them with the wiring diagram, then, snip, snip, connect using the stock connectors from the gauges.

Ultimately, all the wiring was sorted, wrapped in electrical tape (tightly) and positioned under the dash. Also installed the stock light to make sure I had room for everything.

Then, I had to see if it worked. Hmm, no battery, no motor. :smt017 Idea! Checked the specs for the battery for the RZ350 and the RZ500, the same. :smt023 pulled the RZ350 up next to the RZ500, ran a couple of wires as jumpers, voila! Power! :supz:

Uh, no key (lost in CO somewhere). :smt076 Oh well, back the wiring diagram, figured how to hotwire it. Two little wires in the ign lock plastic clip, good to go. Now for the great news. Because I had previously installed the YPVS servo and programmed the Zeel . . . wait for it . . . the YPVS servo cycled open/closed! :smt044

Dash still didn't go on however. traced it back and determined you cannot ground to the fairing bracket. :smt013 rerouted longer wire back to harness, tapped into the ground, then . . . wait for it . . .

We got power! :supz: Also snapped a pic with all of the lights at startup.

Still have to figure out how to rig in a fuel gauge into the tank, but that can wait for another day. The RZ-2's pretty cool, you can change colors, program a shift light, has an oil light. Plus it has performance programs where once you program it, it will do 0-60 times, 1/4 mile times, calculate horsepower.

Things are moving forward. Thanks again to everyone for helping! Can't wait to get it done and get out riding with the rest of you.

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#125 Post by jak167 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

Well, it looks like a few delays have pushed us back a bit again. As of now I think it will be almost impossible to complete Mick's bike for the AMA superbike round in the first week of June at Road America.

Biggest problem right now is the water pump and cover. After continued work on the motor, Brian felt the existing unit was worn enough to be sketchy if used with the new motor.

I have search high and low and only can come up with a water pump cover and gaskets. No impeller or shaft. If anyone has a complete waterpump please let me know. We're kinda stuck right now bc of this part.

Thanks to everyone again for the help

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

HWY9CA

#126 Post by HWY9CA » Mon May 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Looks like progress -nice work
Road America is kind of wet as I see on the SBK site.
Keep us posted.
http://www.rdsonly.com/
JT
1975 RD350B
1975 RD250B -rough
1979 RD400 Race bike- in process
1985 RZ500 - flame bike
1993 TZ250 4DP2- to be restored

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#127 Post by jak167 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Sorry for the long delay between updates, business issues and issues with my mom's health have taken precedence. Things have quited down a bit, so back to the build. :-)

Quick update for all.

First, thanks to Chuck for the water pump!! Saved the bacon!

Spoke with Brian yesterday. Motor's moving along. has all the cylinders and pistons, etc. and should be getting motor assembled shortly. He's been doing such a great job, I appreciate his help, and I understand he has to make sure he keeps his business up and going too. Hopefully he will be ready for the frame in a couple of weeks.

Speaking of frame, I have everything completed except for the speed sensor mount. As you know we have R6 forks and I have a Koso dash. Had to get creative to make the mount work. Should be finishing that tomorrow. Figured out turn signal issues. Got the '08 signal controls to work with the RZ500 harness. (I post more on how) Also got high beams to work. Zeel wired, radiator installed. Only thing missing is left footpeg (mines bent) and rear brake pedal return spring (hope to source from hardware store). After that it's ready for Brian's motor. YeeHaa!

Later,
John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

HWY9CA

#128 Post by HWY9CA » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:45 pm

John Give me some notice when you come down to Brians with the frame. I would like to pop up there and meet you both. I will help in any way I can, I serve cold beer -I am an expert at that.
Glad to see the Zeel went together well. Every thing look good great work.
JT
RD's Only
JT
1975 RD350B
1975 RD250B -rough
1985 RZ500 - flame bike

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#129 Post by jak167 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 pm

Ahhh, it's always important having the thinking juice handy! :drinkers: It's be a pleasure meeting you anytime.

RE the Zeel, it wasn't really that hard. JT, from www.rdsonly.com has a Zeel wiring diagram on PDF. There's also a link in the forum, but I forgot where. :smt017 Just a matter of snipping the old connector, matching everything up and your good to go. Also, I'd highly recommend the USB connector for the Zeel. I got mine from Economy Cycle in IL. The USB will power the Zeel to program it, even if it is not connected to anything! :smt103 Plus the graphical interface of the computer program is much easier to understand and change than the handheld scanner.

You can PM with you email if you'd like, but I'm not shy, so here's mine: jkrupa@krupalaw.com

I will make sure I post something as well when we are ready to get the final assembly going.

Later,
John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

HWY9CA

#130 Post by HWY9CA » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:15 am

I SAY MotoGp Monterey Caliifornia for the reunion form Mickeys Bike show off. That is my neck of the woods what say ALL????
JT
1975 RD350B
1975 RD250B -rough
1985 RZ500 - flame bike

cbn70

#131 Post by cbn70 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 am

any updates, how is the project coming along

rztom
Site Admin

#132 Post by rztom » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:32 pm

cbn70 wrote:any updates, how is the project coming along
BUMP.... :smt023

HWY9CA

#133 Post by HWY9CA » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Hey any update you two [John & Brian]???
I know it is hard to make time, I just got a job at TESLA Motors and my garage business is suffering.

I have no time -Keep up posted when you can. Good luck to the both of you and Hurry up!! :grin:
JT
1975 RD350B
1975 RD250B -rough
1985 RZ500 - flame bike

Blackshaheen

#134 Post by Blackshaheen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Hellooooo?

Any news guys?

Anything else we can help with?

Cheers!

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

Update!!

#135 Post by jak167 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:09 pm

To All:

It's been a while since I've posted an update. I've had a few matters which have required my more urgent attention. Namely taking care of my mother and somehow trying to keep my business going while taking care of my mother. As you may remember I posted way back when she also suffers from cancer. I cannot go into details, because she does not like her personal information shared (unlike my brother who welcomed others inquiries about his illness), but she has no one else to help her, and I obviously, could not refuse. Needless-to-say the bike project dropped a bit down the priority list. As a result, a lot of different areas of my life have gone a bit rogue. As Mark Twain put it well, "Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well." That's kinda been my motto this Summer. :smt023

Even though the rushing torrent of Mic's RZ500 Tribute Build slowed to a trickle, it never stopped. I completed the chassis building in late July, early August, but I was stumped on how to get the rolling chassis to Brian in CA when I was here in IL. I initially planned to take some time off, take the bike and the kids out West for some fun; but, as above, not gonna happen. I started to explore getting a crate from a motorcycle dealer which I could rig up the RZ500 then find out how to hire and pay a shipper to get it to Brian. Then fortune smiled!! Brian knew a guy who races small hydroplane boats, because Brian worked on his motor. They use hand built 500cc two-stroke motors. Pretty cool. This guy happened to be racing in a small town in IL. I looked up the town and it was only an hour away. Hooked up with the guy, and a few hundred dollars later, and a week, presto Brian had the rolling chassis, the extra bolts which would be needed to install everything, the tank (which will be painted out there), and few extra items Brian requested. :grin:

Brian got the motor installed into the chassis and then would be working on the pipes. Unfortunately, Brian did say the after market oil tank shown in my previous pictures would not work with how he wanted to route the pipes. (So, as an aside, that item is now available to anyone who wants to make an offer. Just PM me if your interested.) As Brian juggles his workload, we should hope to have pipes built and installed in the near future. We still haven't had confirmation from the bodywork people RE whether we can get the "racing" style bodywork from early '90 era. Also, Brian has not had confirmation of the flatside carbs which has been trying to secure.

I touch base with Brian periodically both as a friend and relating to the build. We've had many a great discussion RE politics, the economy, etc. I'm comfortable with the pace we're moving along, a more leisurely pace. I feel the white hot flame of my grief at my brother's death and my desire to honor his wishes has given way to more practical glowing coals which while just as hot, burn much longer.

Oh, just remembered, a few people have contacted me RE some parts which I was not going to be using on Mic's build. I have not had a chance to really respond to those of you who have inquired about these parts. I do apologize, I will try to get back to you. If you could send me your request again, I will promise to respond more quickly. Also, I have pictures of the body work side panels, belly pan, fairing, stock pipes, front brake calipers, front brake lines, front brake master cylinder, front and rear wheels with spacers, complete stock front forks, stock rear shock, and stock rear swing arm on my camera for over two months now . . . . and the pics are still on my camera. See Twain quote above. If anyone is interested in these parts please let me know and I'll have a tintype picture forwarded to you via pony express. :smt016

Thanks again to everyone who has helped. We'll get this project done. I personally appreciate your patience and understanding.

Later,
John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!