Forum Party!! Mickey's tribute Bike Reveal!

Working together to finish Mickey's RZ500!

Moderator: rztom

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

Forum Party!! Mickey's tribute Bike Reveal!

#1 Post by jak167 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:08 pm

To All:

Decided to start a new thread to get everyone's opinion RE trying to get the forum members together to celebrate the completion of Mickey's Tribute RZ500.

I threw out a suggestion on the other thread about trying to get together for the AMA Superbike Weekend at Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI on the first weekend of June. I suggested this location bc we should have enough time to complete the bike, RA is an great place to watch a race (look it up on google maps), they let you camp inside the track (so we can get a bunch of campsites together), we would have to make the obligatory bar crawl to Seibkin's, and it would be easier for me (being honest here) to bring my two girls 5 & 3 (who like racing). I've been going to RA since I was a kid, Mickey and I have raced bikes there when we were younger, so I really like the place.

I also suggest we World Superbike at Miller Motorsports Park in Toolle, UT over Memorial Day Weekend. Mickey and I did a trip ourselves in 2008 and then a "griswald" trip with both our families in 2010 and it was great. You can't camp at track, but facility is great, lots of stuff to do and a lot of rooms close by at airport and Salt lake City (Toolle's rooms fill up really fast).

Others have suggested maybe trying to organize the reveal at Laguna in July or MotoGP in August. I don't know any details about these facilities, so let's get a discussion going about all of the above to see what may work best for everyone.

John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

Blackshaheen

#2 Post by Blackshaheen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:17 pm

I have to go to Argentina around that time (fairly flexible). I shit-you-not that I would be happy to make a detour to the US for that moment! I look forward to hearing what the consensus is because I'm easy.
I'm not cheap...but I'm easy...I can't help myself :sad:
D.

Jeff B

#3 Post by Jeff B » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm all for Road America! It's in my neck of the woods! That would give me a good deadline to get my 500 road worthy.

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Gary Papesh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:03 pm

I'd love to be there John, sounds like a great excuse for me to finally get up to see a race there!
Sincerely, Gary P.
The man who dies with the biggest carbon footprint WINS !!!

cbn70

#5 Post by cbn70 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Who ever goes, take a lot of pics for those of us that can`t make it

Tom B

#6 Post by Tom B » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:13 am

Road America is a great place and it would be wonderful to attend.
The timing is a bit of a challenge for some.
I think that the Moto GP in Indianapolis Aug 28 would be a great venue as well. Crazy number of great bikes, bike friendly city and law enforcement where two strokes were very rare and popular.
I for one would love to see Mickey's bike doing a lap of the track. :grin:

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by jak167 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Maybe we can even shoot for both? I liked the RA idea bc I've camped their before and it's much easier with my 5 and 3 year old.

Does anyone know whether they allow camping at the track at Indy?

John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

gpaddict

#8 Post by gpaddict » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Yes, camping is allowed in the parking areas on the west side of the track.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by jak167 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 am

Cool, have to look into it.

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by jak167 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Well, Road America's come and gone. :-( Good racing though. Didn't make it up there, but DVR'd it.

Right now, I think I'd like to shoot for Indy for the reveal. Any other ideas?

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

HWY9CA

#11 Post by HWY9CA » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 am

John

I would like to see the finished bike any where -Colorado @ Coors brewery would be a good pic.

want you and the bike to have some closure - We all want that..

Keep the faith we have not forgotten, Have been away but want to know how you are doing.

JT
http://www.rdsonly.com/
JT
1975 RD350B
1975 RD250B -rough
1979 RD400 Race bike- in process
1985 RZ500 - flame bike
1993 TZ250 4DP2- to be restored