Throttle Cable experiences?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Bengt Weil

Throttle Cable experiences?

#1 Post by Bengt Weil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:24 am

I am in need of replacing both throttle cable assy and to the best of my knowledge, have the following to choose from since the OEM cables are NLA:

Yambits brand
Wemoto brand
TSX brand (various Ebay sellers)
JMT brand (various Ebay sellers)

I was able to find a post regarding the Yamabits cable, noting the oil pump cable was not the correct length and the throttle slides would not fully open.

If anyone has had any more to share with their aftermarket throttle cables experiences, I would love to hear more so that I can make an informed decision on which "brand" cable to pursue - Thanks!
Last edited by Bengt Weil on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Throttle Cable experiences?

#2 Post by Speed Freak » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:46 am

I tried to order them from an online Yamaha dealer.
They told me they can`t deliver the original cables (were listed as available) but they can offer me aftermarket throttle cables.

In the end they went back to the seller because on the carb side they had the completely wrong ends (not possible to use)...

Don`t know which "brand", i guess the cheapest available...

In the end i got a set of Yamaha throttle cables.

I would ask the sellers if their throttle cables have PTFE sleeves.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

Bengt Weil

#3 Post by Bengt Weil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback Speed Freak... I wish I could locate some OEM cables, but they seem to have gone NLA for a while now. Good idea on whether or not they are Teflon lined and of course, that they are of the correct length and have the correct ends.

Since the bike was never available here in the States, none of our aftermarket cable companies offer a replacement cable set and I'm am not familiar with the brands (JMT, TSX, etc.) nor the quality of the cables sold by Yambits and Wemoto.

I can opt to buy the most expensive cables available on Ebay in hopes of getting what I paid for, but I'm sure there are some retailers who sell crap cables at high prices, phishing for someone expecting quality for a high price...

If anyone has experiences with any replacement cables from JMT or TSX for any other application and find them to be of good quality and fitment (or not...), that feedback would be helpful as well.
Last edited by Bengt Weil on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bengt Weil

#4 Post by Bengt Weil » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:31 pm

UPDATE: I believe I have located an OEM throttle/oil pump (A) cable. I will update this post when it arrives. I will still be looking for an aftermarket return throttle (B) cable (which is not as critical as the "A" cable). Any/all feedback still welcome...

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Speed Freak » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:40 am

Bengt Weil wrote: but they seem to have gone NLA for a while now.
Beginning of 2013.
Asked for availability at the Yamaha dealer end of 2012 and they were available at this time, at least the opener.
2 months later i wanted to buy them because i saw that the mounted cables are crap - someone lubricated them with grease...
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

Bengt Weil

#6 Post by Bengt Weil » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:09 pm

If anyone is looking for an OEM return cable (push), these folks have one, though they are fairly proud of it -

http://www.remarcables.com.au/search?dl ... VtaGZ6bjU=

They quoted me $165 AUD plus $35 AUD shipping. I can't justify it, but if someone is doing an accurate restoration, this may be a good opportunity to pickup a NLA part.

Bengt Weil

#7 Post by Bengt Weil » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:27 pm

I had thought that I had located an original throttle cable through the following web site:

http://theolouwesmotors.nl/

Entered in the part search as follows: ( Parts > Motor Parts > Merk: Yamaha Motor Parts > PartNr: 47X-26260-00 > Zoek )

When I made the purchase last month, the resulting text from the part search was as you see it below, but without the words "COPY", which he has added since my transaction experience. Prior to that, it appeared he was selling the OEM Yamaha cable. Here is the text as of today:

47X-26260-00 New (A)Copy Cable Yamaha motor parts Cable,throttle(A)Copy assy cable) with oilpomp cable compl.Yam.RD500L/C 4cil.W.cooled street bike(Orig Yam.prize 139,00 euro) (loc: 8/7) €49.00

I received the package in a timely manner (from the Netherlands to the USA) which costs me a total of 70,00 EUR with shipping and Paypal fees, but the cable he sent me is entirely different (see Ebay link below). After communicating back and forth, opening a PayPal dispute, sending pictures, assuring him that my bike has the std throttle and carbs, etc., he owns up to maybe the wrong cable was sent. I later find out he has an Ebay listing, which does say "COPY" in the description of the cable, but is a little misleading with the nicely "doctored" Yamaha part tag included in the pictures of the wrong cable that he sent to me (a simple push/pull cable without any junction boxes):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-throttle-A- ... SwLN5Wk98g

Lesson learned - there are people in this world who misrepresent the products they sell and are not willing to make things right. I would have received a aftermarket/pattern copy cable misrepresented as an original Yamaha part, I actually received an incorrect cable which I had to return at my expense ($22.50 US) in order to get the refund of the money I had spent to get what was advertised as a Yamaha 47X-26260-00 cable (just over $80.00 US).

Hopefully with the change on his web site he made after my PayPal claim (although his Ebay ad is really a poor example of clear/accurate advertising), other people will have a better idea what they are purchasing and not be mislead.

MOVING ON, can anyone offer their experiences with the cable quality (fit, quality, accuracy/range of adjustment, be it for the RD500 or any other application you have experienced) from either TSX or JMT? I don't know who builds the Yambits cables or if they are any good, but most all the available reproduction cables seem to be TSX or JMT cables, which I have no experience with and are not at all prevalent in the retail market here in the US. Here's a couple links for these cables:

TSX - http://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-CABLE- ... -w&vxp=mtr

JMT - http://www.ebay.com/itm/JMT-Throttle-Ca ... V1&vxp=mtr

Thanks to all who can offer feedback on these cable manufacturers.
Last edited by Bengt Weil on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

podman

#8 Post by podman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Ive just had a Yambits throttle (a) cable fitted to my 500 and it went on with no problems, feels light in operation as well.

podman

#9 Post by podman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:39 pm

..and you have my sympathy regards the experience you had from the lying shyster you mention above...

Bengt Weil

#10 Post by Bengt Weil » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:14 am

Hey Podman - Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding the Yambits (A) cable - good to hear they are a good replacement candidate. Yambits says they sell either "Hi Lex" (TSX) or "Hi Tech" cables, depending on their inventory at the time.

solo 2

#11 Post by solo 2 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:16 am

I bought a Yambits throttle cable for my 500 and yes the oil pump cable was a bit too long, I had to shim it at the housing end. Not a big issue but if you're not into or good at modifying cables it may cause you some headaches. This is the only Yambits part I've ever had an issue with though.

I've yet to see any aftermarket cable match the OEM every time. The Motion Pro throttle cable for my RM370 was not even close, fits a few bike apparently. I thought of contacting Venhill as they seem to be very good but don't know if they could do it because of the splitter box.

Bengt Weil

#12 Post by Bengt Weil » Wed May 04, 2016 6:01 pm

I went ahead and ordered both cables (open and return) from Yambits. Will see how they look and will be prepared to do some minor modifications as necessary to get them fitted/adjusted properly.

Thanks to all who contributed info!

phildu31

#13 Post by phildu31 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:32 am

Hi all.
I'm at the end of rebuilding my bike and am in trouble with the length of the opening throttle cable.
Mine seems too long at the grip side and nearly impossible to get it moving freely with steering.
I changed it some fifteen years ago because oil pump side was in bad shape, but can't remember where I bought it : Yamaha or Yambits ?..... memory fading ....
The part number is white printed on it : 47X-26260-00, so seems to come from Yamaha.

So I have 2 questions about it :
Can somebody measure his opening throttle cable and give the correct lengths of the 4 sub-cables ?
And does the Yambits cable have the part number printed on it ?

This should be of great help.
Thanks