fuel leak

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: fuel leak

#16 Post by Speed Freak » Sun May 08, 2016 1:33 pm

Pull the old diaphragm thru the black part, fold the new one and put it into place.
As far as I remember it wasn`t a big thing on my RD350 fuel tap.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#17 Post by rd84 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks - worked perfectly - I used a Viton kit from NRP for the tap - it looks the same as the Yambits one - just hoping that it's a good fix.

Just done the float valves on the right side of the engine since one was leaking, although tapping the float bowl cured it - just wondering whether to do the other two - they've been in there about 10-15 years - I think the answer is probably yes ? :smile: - to my astonishment the inside of the carbs was perfectly clean and crud free - the last time I rebuilt the carbs they were full of varnish - nothing at all this time.

Cheers
Paul

Ivan_Ahrde

#18 Post by Ivan_Ahrde » Tue May 31, 2016 10:39 am

Large bowl of water filled to the brim at eye level. Take each carb in turn. Attach a water bottle via a tube to the petrol intake point of the carb and tie the water bottle high above the bowl of water filled to the brim. With the carb float bowl removed lower the carb float into the water and see at what point it floats and shuts the water off. Lift the carb a bit and watch the water flow. You will be surprised at the result. With time the little bits of metal that govern the float height get bent and the fuel level gets to the brim of the float bowl. There is an official float height for shut off to occur but I just set it a shade down from the brim so that at a small angle it would not reach the brim. Mine used to start to leak when running.