Oil pump cable

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

nzminis

Re: Oil pump cable

#16 Post by nzminis » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 pm

^^^ john is correct , set it to the marks and ride the bike , simple stuff.

tacky1

#17 Post by tacky1 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:31 pm

phildu31 wrote:I hope you're kidding
LOL. Are you kidding!! Read the very first paragraph on page 20, Its exactly as we have described, Throttle cable and YPVS servo control the flow of oil to the engine depending on RPM and throttle position....
Its right there in black and white, Its a simple system,
Think of this way,
The 350 is controlled by the cable, The more you you open the throttle, the more oil is pumped, BUT, when you close the throttle at high RPM the oil flow is only giving you IDLE rpm oil flow.
Now add in the servo to the 350, Yes I know... only the 500 has this feature, I'm trying to get it down so you can see how it works. :cool:
So now we added the servo control to the 350, When you release the throttle at high RPM, the servo will keep the oil pump lever open and keep supplying oil as if the cable to the oil pump alone was opened with the throttle.... Now do you see how it works, really simple, it just keeps the oil pump levr open and oil pumping at high RPM when the throttle is released...
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1989 VFR750R RC30
1984 GPZ750 Turbo

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#18 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:18 am

Time for this

2smoke

#19 Post by 2smoke » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:13 am

Yep Silver, Tacky, and NZminis are correct on the operation of the oil pump at all RPMs +YPVS openings.
The oil pump system does seem to over-oil at all times with synthetic oil and you may get away with removing the cable to the servo but no one is going to tell you its ok to do so.
Not me anyways.
Colin

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#20 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:25 am

I'll take over-oiling over the alternative any day. I don't mind wiping oil off of the back of the bike. I like having the confidence to rev the hell out of it and not worry about running lean and having a meltdown.

The system works just fine as it is. Yamaha's engineers knew what they were doing. Why anyone would want to question their judgement is mystery to me. It's not worth the risk.

phildu31

#21 Post by phildu31 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:45 am

I'm surprised by the aggressiveness of some posts.
The only explanation I can see is that my english translation did not reflect my french thinking.
So I'm going to explain it in french and will try to translate as best as I can :

Le volume d'huile généré par la pompe à chaque rotation de la pompe dépend uniquement de la position du levier de commande de la pompe.
Ce volume s'exprime en cm3 (centimetres-cube) ou en litres.
La position du levier est déterminée par le câble et dépend de l'accélérateur et sur la 500 de l'ouverture des valves YPVS.

Le "débit" de la pompe s'exprime en volume par unité de temps : par exemple en cm3/seconde ( centimetre-cube par seconde ) ou en ml/seconde ( millilitre par seconde ).
Ce "débit" est proportionnel à la vitesse de rotation du moteur car la pompe est entraînée par la transmission primaire.
Pour une position fixe du levier de commande de la pompe, le "débit" augmente linéairement avec la vitesse de rotation du moteur.

I used the word "output" for the translation of "débit", maybe this is incorrect and "flow rate" should have been more appropriate ?
And now in my poor english :

The amount of oil generated by the oil pump at each rotation of the pump depends on the position of the command lever.
This amount is expressed in "cm3" / "cc" ? or in liters.
The position of the lever is determined by the cable and depends on throttle position and ( on the 500 ) YPVS valves opening.

The "output ? / flow rate ?" of the pump is expressed in volume by time unit : for exemple in cm3/second ( or cc/second ? ) or in ml/second ( milliliter by second ).
This "output ? / flow rate ?" is proportional with motor RPMs because the pump by the primary gear.
For a given position of the oil pump command lever, the "output / flow rate" increases linearly with the motor RPMs.

That is the operation as described in the service manual that I linked above that I tried to describe.
Hoping this would be more understandable.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#22 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Yes, and that is exactly what we've been telling you. The primary gear turns the pump, but oil output volume is controlled by the throttle and YPVS servo. Perhaps it is just a translation problem with French to English.

My apologies for the aggressive approach, but you just seemed so insistent on getting it wrong that it was becoming very frustrating. The goal here is to provide accurate information so others may learn.

I think we have this settled now. Let's move on.

John

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#23 Post by pstamper » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Settle down now. I set the cables and align everything by what the manual shows. I think they knew what they were doing to build a reliable bike.. If it is a hot day at track I might adjust the cable for a little more oil. My bike probably has more track miles on it than most people will ever put on their bikes and all reliably, so why reinvent the wheel, it works. My two cents.

GRA400C
- - - - -
- - - - -

#24 Post by GRA400C » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:35 pm

First off thanks for all the replies. By no means am I trying to reinvent the wheel. The reason I as is I relocated the servo so a different length of cable will need to be modified. That's no big deal really. I just really wanted to know why in the first place it is hooked to the servo. And yes I understand high rpms at closed throttle the servo will keep the pump open. Burn the way some of you describe hi rpms to me is saying your going to close the throttle at 9,000 rpm going down a hill and you bike won't get any oil!! Well first off I'm not going to close the throttle at 9,000 rpm and if I did I would just shift up.. Some of the replies almost sound like your comparing using the oil pump vs premix. Now that I understand. When running premix you would only get idles worth of oil. But runing a pump it still would get quite a bit of oil because the pump would be pumping do fast but just not a long stroke.

Am I really wanted to know was why yamaha did it?? And I ask that because ever rd or rz350 or most every other bike I can think of that has a pump is just ran off of throttle possition. That's why I brought up the question.

Garrett

bogey

#25 Post by bogey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:50 am

Hi Guys,

Found this very interesting asbI have just put the motor back in my frame as part of my resto. I had been thinking about the oil
Pump etc and wondering how it worked so finding this discussion very useful and will study details and link in more detail.
However one question that was on my mind that hasn't been answered as yet is how does the power valve controller adjust the pump arm using the same cable as the throttle wit outs affecting the throttle??
Be grateful for any clarification.
regards
B

phildu31

#26 Post by phildu31 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 am

The "sheath" ( not sure of the exact word for 'gaine' ) is set on the oil pump lever at the throttle side and not at servo motor side.
So when servo motor rotates, the entire cable+sheath moves with the oil pump lever.
Simple and magical !!

bogey

#27 Post by bogey » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:57 pm

phildu31 wrote:The "sheath" ( not sure of the exact word for 'gaine' ) is set on the oil pump lever at the throttle side and not at servo motor side.
So when servo motor rotates, the entire cable+sheath moves with the oil pump lever.
Simple and magical !!
Thanks for that, simple once you are enlightened!