New RZV owner with standard Airbox Confusion / Queries...

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Richie rich

New RZV owner with standard Airbox Confusion / Queries...

#1 Post by Richie rich » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:06 am

Hello from Melbourne, Australia, my first post on this forum so apologies if this is silly question or series of questions but I'm hoping the knowledgeable folk might be able to assist.

A few months back I finally managed to find and buy a nice RZV500, a bike I've lusted after forever and been actively searching for for some time. Sold a few beloved non-Yam's to buy this bike and it's been happily settling in alongside a few other Yamaha's including an RZ350 and reverse cylinder TZR250.

Here's a pic of the bike in question, it's been nicely brought back to life by it's skilled previous owner with a few non-std mods here and there, some I like and others not so much - which I'll get to in a minute..

As you can see the bike has a set of JL pipes, but also came with a custom air filter intakes that utilise a K&N filter each side. I've never been a fan of mucking around too much with the intake side on bikes and I'm not convinced the bike fuels as it should with these filters, plus I don't like the loud intake noise at all. The bike came with the std airbox so I've decided to refit that to get the bike closer to the baseline std before playing with jetting etc. The bike has had the carbs rebuilt using new unrestricted internals, but only runs 185 main jets, which seems very small for the filters it's running (the previous owner built the bike but then hardly rode it).

Herein lies where I started to get confused. I cleaned up the std airbox and ordered what I thought would be all the new seals required to ensure it is properly sealed at all the joints. However after receiving the parts through Yambits that' when the head scratching began. I couldn't figure out where the airbox joint (elephant ears to the actual airbox) were to be used. Yambits said I needed 4 of these (photo below) and originally I thought this was backed up by the Yamaha parts fiche, which I initally read part number 1GE-1446R-00 (#29 on the parts fiche) as seals that are used between the airbox seals, but I actually think I misread that and they are actually the seals for the airbox to carb points.

Here's the foam with adhesive backing seal I'm talking about:

Here's the photos of my airbox - the only place I can see where those seals will fit is between spacer that's pop-riveted onto each 'ear' - it doesn't seem logical to me that I need to drill these out to replace a seal? Unless what I have has been modified, I say that as it appears there should be a small snorkel that should protrude into the airbox, this looks to have been cut off on mine - is this why I can't figure out where a seal needs to go - or do these not require that degree of sealing?

Although the foam seal seems to be the perfect fit for the hole at the top of the 'ears', it obviously doesn't seal up to anything in the actual airbox as the opening is far bigger. Although the parts bolt up cleanly to together via the larger flange, Surely there needs to be a seal here too? Or is this piece also modified?

The bike also came with the std pipes and these look to have been derestricted, so clearly an owner in the past in Japan has 'played' with the bike to get it going better. I'm keen to know how much of my airbox has been modified and whether the removal of those small snorkels will cause any issues for me?

I also noted that the airbox to carbs sealing on this airbox consisted of both a rubber o-ring and a small piece (of very perished) foam also, but I'm sure now only the o-ring needs to be used and this is part number 1GE-1446R-00

I'm going insane trying to figure this out and I think the Yambits descriptions have put me into a spin because surely they can't be right?

Apologies for the essay but appreciate any advice to clear up my confusion.

Cheers, Richard.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: New RZV owner with standard Airbox Confusion / Queries..

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:31 am

You are correct, they are the carb to airbox joint seals Richard. 2 holes in each airbox.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by rd84 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:59 am

Also check if you have 1GE or 47X elephant ears on your airbox assembly - the 47X uses O rings rather than the 1GE type that you have.

There is a foam gasket that joins the elephants ears to the centre airbox section - I checked the 1GE and 47X parts lists but as far as I can see it isn't quoted - I wonder if it came as part of the elephants ears ? - Perhaps you could make a seal out of a suitable foam ?

Cheers
Paul

Richie rich

#4 Post by Richie rich » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:11 pm

rd84 wrote:Also check if you have 1GE or 47X elephant ears on your airbox assembly - the 47X uses O rings rather than the 1GE type that you have.

There is a foam gasket that joins the elephants ears to the centre airbox section - I checked the 1GE and 47X parts lists but as far as I can see it isn't quoted - I wonder if it came as part of the elephants ears ? - Perhaps you could make a seal out of a suitable foam ?

Cheers
Paul
Thanks Paul, appreciate the reply and the explaining the difference between the two models, that explains some of my confusion at least. Looks like I'll use some sort of household draft stopper foam to help seal the elephants ears where they meet the airbox.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Richard

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Speed Freak » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 am

Use cellular rubber (hope it`s the right word - google translate) - NBR or CR type rubber (oil and fuel resistant).
It`s the same material as your foam rings from yambits.

A bit hard to find as the usual rubber for this foam is EPDM (window seals etc.)
Could also work in this place as the back pulsation of the intake air shouldn`t go so high back into the elefant ears.

Original material looks a bit like this packing material:
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

Richie rich

#6 Post by Richie rich » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:51 am

Thanks for that info Speed Freak, will check out that material and see what I can find. Much appreciated.

Cheers, Richard

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by silverstrom » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:46 pm

You have PM Richard.

PilotMarky

#8 Post by PilotMarky » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:57 pm

In your picture, it also looks like the trumpets have been cut off on your elephant ears..
Mark

Jeff B

#9 Post by Jeff B » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:39 am

The center section of the airbox has a reputation for being very restrictive. I've never driven a standard bike. I had K&N filters but I wasn't happy with the fuelling. I now have what appears to be a very popular option. Just the sides of the airbox with filters on them. Due to other issues I haven't driven it much since.

Your main jets sound very small!

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by rd84 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:30 am

Jeff B wrote:The center section of the airbox has a reputation for being very restrictive. I've never driven a standard bike. I had K&N filters but I wasn't happy with the fuelling. I now have what appears to be a very popular option. Just the sides of the airbox with filters on them. Due to other issues I haven't driven it much since.

Your main jets sound very small!
Some people leave the baffles out of the standard centre section which I'm told improves things quite a bit - not tried it yet though - will do on my next project though.

Cheers
Paul

Luther

#11 Post by Luther » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:58 pm

Check plugs often till you know what you've got, your bikes beautiful and I don't want to hear it getting hurt.

V4 Stroker

Re: New RZV owner with standard Airbox Confusion / Queries...

#12 Post by V4 Stroker » Mon May 23, 2022 8:37 am

Thanks for this post. I was unware of the foam seal.
Spotted some 1GE 1446R 00 seals on ebay and was curious
I now have four seals on the way as I thought the O ring was the only seal for the carb plate to ear.
I did also use some grease to help improve the seal.

hailwood1965
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: New RZV owner with standard Airbox Confusion / Queries...

#13 Post by hailwood1965 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Good answers.