Hello from Brisbane Australia

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

pkay

Hello from Brisbane Australia

#1 Post by pkay » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi All
Finally got myslef organised to join the forum. I have had an Australian delivered RZ500 for about 8 months now. I've always liked the RZ especially after seeing how they cleaned up in production racing in Australia when they were new. I'll post a pic some time soon.

I have bought a couple of bikes over the years with a focus on bikes that ran in the castrol six hour being one of the my buying preferences. The RZ joins a few other Yamahas in the garage including a RD250LC, two RZ250 - 34J and 1XH and a bunch of four stroke ones I will not list here. Other two strokers in the garage include a Honda NSR250 MC21, two Kawasaki KR250 A1's, Suzuki RGV250 VJ21, Aprilia RS250, Kawasaki Mach 3, Kawasaki G7, Suzuki GT380 and my favourite a Yamaha LB80 Chappy (better than a Honda Z50 by a mile).

The bike hasn't really done a lot since I bought it because the low speed jets were not working properly, needs a new rear tyre and the rear brake seemed not to work. I finally got myelf organised the other weekend and and cleaned the carb jets. I have to say I don't get this zip tie thing to hold on fuel pipes - lazy and created a minefield of sharp edges in a place where space was a premium anyway. The back of my hands look a little second hand at the moment. ANyway after cleaning out the fuel deposits started first go and ran very nicely - always nice when that happens and no zip ties!! Had to also fix a leaking oil pipe. Thebrakes got done last night, cleaned, bled and new pads - still feel a bit dead so I think a seal change may be on the cards, the piston movement wasn't as smooth as I think it should be. Next I'll be hunting a new rear tyre and then time for some fun.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Hello from Brisbane Australia

#2 Post by rd84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 am

Good to hear you making progress - The brake calipers like on a lot of bikes from this era are prone to corrosion behind the seal so be careful to clean this out as well as fitting new seals.

Cheers
Paul

pkay

#3 Post by pkay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:24 pm

Cheers for that.
I did my RZ250 some time ago and getting the pistons in was an absolute pig even after freezing them for a couple of days - I hope this is easier!!

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by rd84 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:22 am

pkay wrote:Cheers for that.
I did my RZ250 some time ago and getting the pistons in was an absolute pig even after freezing them for a couple of days - I hope this is easier!!
Fitting the pistons was OK - the only notable problem I had was manually bleeding the front brakes.

podman

#5 Post by podman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:19 am

Welcome in, great collection of bikes you have going there...Interesting to hear how the bikes cleaned up over in Auz,I read Mr Doohan did well on a 500 all those years ago, I dont think it did anything in the UK or the world stage?

Anyway, a good start and enjoy the bike.