Liquid in lower exhausts

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Marty

Liquid in lower exhausts

#1 Post by Marty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:45 am

I wonder if anyone has had this before??
I have been working extremely hard and haven't run the RZV since April, when she started 3rd or 4th kick. I ran her up to temp and noticed that top right cyl was a little slower to warm up at that time but revs were clean and crisp. I turned her off and put her back to bed until yesterday.....................
All set for a quick fettle and ride, I added half gallon of fuel to prime carbs and check for sticky floats etc. All good.
I realised my rear neighbours were having a garden party and decided not to run the bike up and spoil their fun as I had today off.
This morning. Still no leaks, I added another couple of gallons checked chain and tyre pressures and went to fire her up. First kick normal as was second, third seemed different....slight resistance, as was next couple of kicks. Then kicked over as normal and started. Maintained fast idle and released the choke 15-25 seconds all ok. Slight change in exhaust note and I looked to the rear. To my horror, rusty brown liquid was being sprayed out of the lower 2 exhausts in a dense mist spray. My mind immediately thought head gaskets................Switched off straight away!!
Upon closer inspection I have established the liquid to be raw fuel, pressumably rusty from the insides of the chambers??

Has anyone experienced this before and if so, what is the cause and remedy please.

Thanks chaps ;)

phildu31

Re: Liquid in lower exhausts

#2 Post by phildu31 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:25 am

Hi Martyn.

Your bike has been dry stored for 20 years, so a complete rebuild is needed.

2002tiil

#3 Post by 2002tiil » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:55 am

My idea: When you put a half gallon gasoline in, just to prime the carbs, seems a bit much....
Did you had on on prime all the time? If not, fuel cock must be faulty then allso.

Could the float(-s) be sticky or leaking (stays down and doesn't seal off the float valves) or dirt in the float valves? Does the valves run freely and doesn't stick? You could polish the float seat with a cue tip on a drill.

I'd to a really good look at the carbs.
I would try this:

Elephant ears off, set into prime, see what happens in the carbs (allso a float height check, fuel line on drainage float, see manual).
Nothing? Plugs out, pump the kickstarter to get the extensive amount of fuel out, plugs in and trying to start and look what happens in the carbs: Vibration can do strange things to the floats...

Mine was not gutted with gasoline, just bogged especially at low revs, but i had sticky valves: Sometimes runs well, sometimes like riding a rodeo...

Just my two cents and bare in mind: I'm an amateur...

tacky1

#4 Post by tacky1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:25 pm

I agree, I would check the floats and petcock,
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1989 VFR750R RC30
1984 GPZ750 Turbo

Marty

#5 Post by Marty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks guys.

phildu31, I understand the full resto thing but I wish to keep her as original as possible..... a survivor if you will.

Again, I understand about floats jamming and levels etc. so I have removed the petcock and dismantled.
Repair kits that seem to be available, only have the "o" rings and diverter seal in them. Are the rear double diaphragm units available as this appears stretched and floppy?

The design of the diaphragm is different on the ebay examples. Square and not house shaped like mine. Are there 2 types? Or are the RZV taps different to an RD/RZ?

I shall be replacing the aged fuel pipes and vacuum pipe at re-assembly.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Much appreciated