carbs .... needingchoke to much ...

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

rdoldtimer

carbs .... needingchoke to much ...

#1 Post by rdoldtimer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:20 am

is there any way you can clen your carbs without removal .. I seem to have a bike that ony wants to run with choke being used also are there any relly competent people out there who would clean mine .....

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: carbs .... needingchoke to much ...

#2 Post by Speed Freak » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:45 am

Your idle circuit is blocked (standard problem)
The jets in this circuit are the smallest in the whole system.

When you pull the choke it gets some extra fuel at idle which keeps the engine running.
If you close the choke the engine gets no fuel.

If you open the throttle (1/8 +) it should run at higher rev`s because it gets fuel thru the main jet.
That`s typical for bikes which are stored for some years.

I wouldn`t try to clean the carbs without disassembling them.
If one jet is just blocked partly one cylinder runs lean and then you will have a much more expensive damage than professional carb cleaning costs.

If you want to clean them by yourself:
- Use a good screwdriver for the (soft) screws of the carb. I`m using Japanese screwdrivers which fits to the Japanese standard bolts. Never had a problem with cross head screws since I`m using them.
- Don`t snap off the 2 posts where the float pin is located in, standard problem of RD500 carbs - then it get`s expensive...
- Take some ear tips and polish your needle seats and needle sliding surfaces, it protects you from having trouble with overflowing carbs.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04