Yambits carb repair kit

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

MK

Yambits carb repair kit

#1 Post by MK » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:02 pm

Just in case anybody considers buying this kit:
http://yambits.co.uk/rd500-carb-repair- ... 26843.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bike does not run properly when using all components. It's so bloody rich that above 8k there's nothing.

The jets are labeled 195 but non Mikuni, so I strongly assume the flow maybe much more than a Mikuni jet.

The needles are visibly wrong. From the taper you'd have the rich region at earlier throttle opening especially on 1/2 to full.
Upper: stock
Lower: Yambits

If I were you, I'd only use the gaskets, the idle screw and the float valve.
Only use the rest after measuring and if you know how to setup a carb.
Attachments
received_910244355747418.jpeg
received_910244355747418.jpeg (136.94 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
Bye
Martin

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Yambits carb repair kit

#2 Post by silverstrom » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:52 pm

Is that a Yambits product or another kit sold by Yambits?

I have bought plenty from them over the years, but now I avoid them. My experience with Yambits has shown that a lot of what they sell is junk. Some of it is quite good, but most of the parts I've bought from them are in a junk box in the shed, including the bearings from India that they told me were better than OEM. Yambits should be the last source of parts after you've looked everywhere else.

podman

#3 Post by podman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:56 pm

AH, as Silverstorm says, its a bit of a lottery with Yambits stuff, which is a real shame, will you feed this info back to them about the product?

If they are not made aware of these issues, they have no chance of correcting it...not defending them at all , it should have been right in the first place.

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Speed Freak » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:16 pm

I think it`s the Keyster carb repair set (KY-0496) they are selling.

https://cmc-parts.be/index.php/carburat ... -1523.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have used it but also just gaskes, float valve, jets and drain screw.
Bike was running "ok", but it was just a test run before disassembling.

Decided to go with original parts in the end, even if this small gaskets are incredible expensive from Yamaha...

Float valves can be repaired by polishing them on the inside with an ear cleaner and the sliding surfaces of the needles.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

MK

#5 Post by MK » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:25 pm

I have measured jets in the past and I will never ever trust jet numbers on non-Mikuni jets before measuring them against known jets:
http://rd350.gmxhome.de/jet_size_problem_english.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In a nutshell: The stock 1GE 165 jets flowed pretty much the same than the stock 47X 195 jets. There seems to be a change in the measuring method around 1985.

If I were to buy new jets for a stock RD500, I'd order #165 for both 1GE and 47X at a Mikuni distributor like http://www.mikuni-topham.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bye
Martin

theredbarron

#6 Post by theredbarron » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Also had bad experiences with Yambits, the Indian made bearings and carb breather hose which they said were the same as yamaha, neither were of any use. Emailed yambits and got no response at all. :sad:
If only there was more free time.