Is my oil injection working?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

yamahoper

Is my oil injection working?

#1 Post by yamahoper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:48 pm

I'm concerned about the oil injection working proper. When I received my RZ500 the hose coming from the oil tank was broken off, tank empty. I threw in some pre mix fuel and took the bike around the neighborhood about 1mi. I was able to get just enough slack to reconnect after a tank flush. I have only ridden the bike 20 miles with premixed fuel and injector hooked up. I looked through the forum for some way to verify all cylinders were getting oil. What I found was a couple guys running both until oil was dripping out the exhaust. Is this the common method? At first there was a lot of smoke, loaded up till I blew it out. Now there is a little excess smoke but not leaving a smoke screen . What should I do?

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Is my oil injection working?

#2 Post by Speed Freak » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:29 pm

RD350:

Disconnect the hose from the carb, close the connector that no air can go in.
Then you can start the bike with premix (replace the fuel in the float chamber with premix before starting).
Pull the oil pump cable to full open position (engine at idle) and wait until oil comes out of the hose without air bubbles.

You can also connect a syringe, count the lifts of the oil pump and measure the amount of oil which is delivered from the pump (there is a value in the service manual for 200 lifts).

Not that easy on the 500...
But you can also pull the oil pump cable to full open position that it fills the hoses faster - but 20 miles should be also enough...

In your case it might be good to test the pump and the check valves.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

yamahoper

#3 Post by yamahoper » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:04 pm

So pull the carbs and left crankcase cover, remove the oil lines from cylinders. plug the cylinders . reassemble ,run bike and check for flow. If oil pumping replace lines. If that's how its done that's what I have to do. Think I'll run a couple tanks of premix first so I can connect with the bike. All work and no play is getting old

kpke

#4 Post by kpke » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 pm

yamahoper

Here is what I did.

You can watch the whole video for some entertainment value but the oil pumping part of it starts at about 3:50 or so. Yes, I was running premix while doing this “experiment”.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzOyGdQiBn8
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

yamahoper

#5 Post by yamahoper » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:11 pm

Thanks for the video! Rockin the Foghat, my first concert back in the 70s. Interesting project!!!

bolly
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by bolly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:10 pm

I have taken the carbs off and generator cover off and spun the generator shaft nut with an electric drill until oil seeps out all four ends