General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

500.FLETCH
- - - - -
- - - - -

water in carbs

#1 Post by 500.FLETCH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi all
is there any way that water can get in my carbs from the engine( I think not but just asking)
as bike has been running oddly. then wouldn't start so I drained the carbs and they where full of water?
now she doesn't live outside and the only way water could get in is from the petrol station correct?
kind regards

Fletch
allways look on the bright side of life
LMAO

MK

Re: water in carbs

#2 Post by MK » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Nope.
The ethanol in the fuel is hygroscopic, i.e. it accumulates moist from the surrouding air.
That's why I prefer Aral Ultimate 102 or Alkylate fuel for long storage:
http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/clean-facts/ ... -unleaded/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bye
Martin

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by silverstrom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Any water in your carburetors would have to come from the fuel tank. You've drained your carbs, now it's time to drain your tank. Do that soon before that water leads to a bigger problem. A holed tank would be awful.

A big problem with ethanol fuel is phase separation, where the ethanol basically falls out of the fuel and accumulates at the bottom of the tank. When it does this, any water suspended in the ethanol also accumulates at the bottom of the tank. You can avoid phase separation by using a product such as Star Tron. I use it in all fuel here and can vouch for its effectiveness. It is a very good stabilizer and can also recondition older fuel. Well worth the effort.

500.FLETCH
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by 500.FLETCH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:51 pm

Cheers guys many thanks :smt023 :smt023
allways look on the bright side of life
LMAO

2-strokefanUK

#5 Post by 2-strokefanUK » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:10 pm

I bought an RG500 that had been laid up for the best part of 10 years, on taking the air filter tubes off, I found the left side lower carb had coolant in it.
On subsequent engine stripdown , I found the O ring that sits between the crank cases was misaligned. I guess the coolant found it's way through the crank case mating surface.