Fuel pump help please

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

TopJimmy

Fuel pump help please

#1 Post by TopJimmy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:01 pm

On my ride home tonight i lost fuel flow. Bike quit. Turned it to prime for a bit. Bike started. Ran great. Had to keep doing that to get home.

So. Is there a test procedure with a vacuum pump or something that someone out there knows of. I guess i will check the impulse line for its integrity first. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Fuel pump help please

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:49 pm

Any chance you went to the reserve level? If not, then it's likely a failed diaphragm.

To test petcocks I use a vacuum tester and a bucket. When you apply vacuum fuel should flow from the line and into the bucket when in the ON position. If not, you have a problem.

TopJimmy

#3 Post by TopJimmy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:39 am

It may be as simple as a piece of crap in there too. I will put my mighty vac on there and see if i get flow. Thanks.

TopJimmy

#4 Post by TopJimmy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 am

Next question is .. i dont see the diaphragm on the parts breakdown. They wanted you to buy the whole assembly? Any ideas where to get a diaphragm?

trappena

#5 Post by trappena » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 pm

TopJimmy wrote:Next question is .. i dont see the diaphragm on the parts breakdown. They wanted you to buy the whole assembly? Any ideas where to get a diaphragm?
you can order a rebuilt kit at Yambits, I have one that I will put on in a few days but cannot comment yet about the quality. A complete new tap is not cheap but still available i believe.

Cheers.