Engine Rebuild-Gear shift shaft

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

bogey

Engine Rebuild-Gear shift shaft

#1 Post by bogey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi all,

Just started rebuilding my motor and am a bit of a novice. Started by reinstalling transmission in lower crankcase. I have refitted the gear shift shaft and from what I can see there is nothing holding it in position. Is there anything that stops it sliding back out, it doesn't look like it would have to slide out much to disengage from the selector drum mechanism.

Be grateful for any info or comments.

Regards

B

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Engine Rebuild-Gear shift shaft

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Once you connect the shift linkage on the left side it will hold the shift shaft in place.

gpaddict

#3 Post by gpaddict » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Most motors have a nub on the clutch cover that holds the shift shaft in place.

gpaddict

#4 Post by gpaddict » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm too lazy to walk to the garage to verify :smt009

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by silverstrom » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:42 pm

gpaddict wrote:Most motors have a nub on the clutch cover that holds the shift shaft in place.
I have never seen this "nub" on RZ350, RZ500, or TZR250 clutch covers here. Do you have a photo, so we can better understand what you mean? All I see is the boss for the shift shaft.

bogey

#6 Post by bogey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi,

Had a quick look on the other side of the engine where the shaft comes out and there doesn't seem to be anything either there or on the sprocket cover which it passes through to secure it. when the gear shift linkage goes on it will stop it sliding back in very much but I am just worried that little movement may be enough that it doesn't engage with the sector drum pins anymore.

Was wondering if it is meant to engage on the inner side of the end plate on the selector drum that has the pins which the shaft uses to rotate the drum.

Again any help or comment would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
B

bogey

#7 Post by bogey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 pm

silverstrom wrote:Once you connect the shift linkage on the left side it will hold the shift shaft in place.
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

When you say connect, when I slide it the shaft and mechanism in the mechanism has legs that sit either d=side of pins in the plate on the face of the selector drum However these just line up with them when you slide the shaft in and I didnt see anyway of connecting or fixing them there. Am i missing Something???

Regards
B

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by silverstrom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:19 pm

The other end.

gpaddict

#9 Post by gpaddict » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Ok guys, I just went to the garage, and yes, the RZ500 clutch cover no doubt has the "nub" that aligns perfectly with the end of the shift shaft to hold it in place. It actually is more of a "post" that is just below and forward of the oil sight glass.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by silverstrom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:17 am

Ok, I see the "nub" now. It isn't a word I'm used to, other than with golf club grips. I don't get out much.

Looks like your "nub" is meant to contact the weld where the shift shaft attaches to the selector mechanism, but that shouldn't really happen if the left side linkage is properly secured. I see the "nub" as a fail safe device.

That "nub" and the fact that the shifter linkage is attached to the left side keep the selector engaged. The "nub" would be secondary to the primary left side linkage holding the shift shaft secure laterally. If you disconnect the left side linkage you can move the shift shaft back and forth until it hits the "nub". Once the left side linkage is secure the shift shaft doesn't move. At least that's how my mind sees it.

jackson.40

#11 Post by jackson.40 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:36 am

Make sure you always use a gasket with the clutch cover and not just sealant as this can cause the shifter linkage to be stiff.

It needs the clearance the gasket gives it to turn free

Steve

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by silverstrom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

A very good point Steve. Wasn't there something posted here a while back about someone having trouble shifting and it was because of contact due to a gasket issue?

That serves to clarify the purpose of the "nub" being a failsafe that isn't meant to touch the selector mechanism on the end of the shift shaft in normal operation. Your shift linkage on the left side would have to be falling off before that failsafe came into play.

bogey

#13 Post by bogey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. All is clear now, so onwards with the rebuild until the next technical question challenges my limited knowledge. Anyway I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Thanks and Regards

B