Power valves

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Frenchship

Power valves

#1 Post by Frenchship » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi,
Just finish rebuilding engine, while doing the leak down test the power valves are leaking badly even with new OEM seals and O rings, ( should have check more carefully) so two things the brass sleeves are bad or could it be the power valves themselves ? Do any body have the OD measurement of a new sleeve where the seals goes? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Canada

WVWRZ500N
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Power valves

#2 Post by WVWRZ500N » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:18 am

Frenchship wrote:Hi,
Just finish rebuilding engine, while doing the leak down test the power valves are leaking badly even with new OEM seals and O rings, ( should have check more carefully) so two things the brass sleeves are bad or could it be the power valves themselves ? Do any body have the OD measurement of a new sleeve where the seals goes? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul
Canada
Paul,

I assume the leak is between the cylinders? Did you install the orange oil seals backwards by chance? They should look like a castle stone keep with the notches sticking outward. If they aren't installed that way then you'll need to turn them around.

The bronze bushings themselves have nothing to do with the seal, only the o-rings and oil seals can prevent leaking.
Regards,
Bill Wilson
Wilson Performance
Lee's Summit, MO
http://www.wilsonperformance.net
Member RZ500 Owners Group #573
816-377-3185
WVWRZ500N@aol.com

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Speed Freak » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:43 pm

The aluminum of the cylinder can be worn (O-ring will leak) or the valve and bushing are worn.
Wear between the bushing and the cylinder is a result if the axis of the power valves are not aligned.

If there is too much clearance between the bushings and the valve the seal will also leak.

I`m also interested in a measurement of new parts to judge how bad my valves are worn...
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

Frenchship

#4 Post by Frenchship » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Bill & Michael,
Thanks for the Infos, the seals are properly installed,so I will need to investigate further and took some measurement. I did noticed that the seals are pretty loose in some of the bushings
Michael if I order new bushing I will send you the measurements.
Thanks I really appreciated the help
Paul

Ron57
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Ron57 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi, hope this helps

Cheers Ron.

Frenchship

#6 Post by Frenchship » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 am