NLA Coolant hoses

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Bengt Weil

NLA Coolant hoses

#1 Post by Bengt Weil » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 am

With the two small coolant hoses (47X-12552-00 & 47X-12578-00) being no longer available, what are the options to replace these two small (6mm id?) hoses and where can the coolant hose/tubing be sourced?

Hoses #23 & #24 displayed in the parts fiche http://www.rzv500r.net/Tech_docs/1GG-PL ... ge_09.html

Thanks for any/all suggestions on this!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: NLA Coolant hoses

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:58 am

I think most people are using silicone now. If it is genuine you want there is this option https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-RZV500R ... V5&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bengt Weil

#3 Post by Bengt Weil » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:26 am

I've got the "main" coolant hoses (thermostat to radiator and head(s), radiator to pump, etc.) covered - it is the two small diameter preformed hoses (approximately 6mm id x 10mm od) hoses that connect to each of the rear/upper cylinders.

I have not seen silicone hose kits that include these two small hoses... Still looking!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:21 am

Jap4performance has them. I've seen them elsewhere online

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RD500-L ... LT&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-RD500 ... Swz~paHwMc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bengt Weil

#5 Post by Bengt Weil » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Still looking for the small coolant hoses...

The links you provided for Jap4 Performance ebay site states that the "picture used is not of actual item", and having purchased the Samco silicone hose set, I can confirm the small hose is not included in the RD500LC 5pc hose kit from Samco.

https://www.bellissimoto.com/parts/cool ... lc-1984-87

I have sent Samco USA an email asking if they have bulk hose for this application (6mm id x 10mm od) and have not received a response. From my research, the smallest ID bulk hose that Samco has is 6.5mm x 14.5mm OD (wall thickness of 4mm) vs the OEM hose spec of 6mm ID x 10mm OD.

Best I can tell, other than silicone, a EPDM rubber hose of some sort might be a good replacement...?

Would be interested in what others have experienced in replacing these 30+ year old small coolant hoses - all personal feedback is appreciated.

nzminis

#6 Post by nzminis » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:12 pm

motion pro Premium black fuel hose 1/4" id
single wall

job done !

Bengt Weil

#7 Post by Bengt Weil » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:12 am

Are you currently using the MotionPro Premium Tygon fuel line? Curious as to the temp rating of 35f-165f degrees - water temps have to reach and exceed 180f, don't they? If you have been using this fuel line successfully for any length of time, I'm on board - let me know. Thanks again for the suggestion.

nzminis

#8 Post by nzminis » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:43 am

think i put it on the bike in 2013

i dont see any issue , quality american made hose , fuel is far worse than glycol
yamaha would not put a special high tech hose standard ,

if your worried im sure you can parts fiche hunt down something qenuine and similar

Bengt Weil

#9 Post by Bengt Weil » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:23 am

The response from the Samco distributor -

"The likelihood is that the OEM hoses were supplied to us by an RD owner that did not include the two hoses you mention when we first made the kit and therefore hoses 23 & 24 on the schematic were never made."

"As they are pre-formed in shape, its unlikely that you could use a straight hose to do the job nicely, but Samco do make a nice product called Xtraflex, which is a flexible hose that hose a helical galvanized steel wire on the hose, meaning that its very flexible and will not bend or deform when placed into tight angles. Please note that whilst the hose is very flexible, it has no ‘Memory’ as such and therefore may try to follow its own rout when installed, so you may need to suspend the hose by using a rubber lined p clip or cable tie/tie wrap – Without seeing the exact hoses in situ, difficult for me to tell."

Hope at this point fades - the smallest Xtraflex hose Samco has available is actually 6.5mm ID x 13.5mm OD... Response continues -

"There would not be a 6mm ID / 10mm OD in the Samcosport range, this would mean a 2mm wall thickness which is not really possible in silicone, it would be very thin and compromise burst pressure."

"We can get you a bespoke quote on hoses if you want to send them to us, but the tooling required to make each hose is expensive."

Oh well, I will start my fiche search to see if I can find any OEM applications can be modified or adapted to work. Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions.