Clutch Issue?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

oldguy

Clutch Issue?

#1 Post by oldguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:19 am

I was going to take her around the neighborhood yesterday after the initial heat cycles and couldn't get her to hook up. I had went through the shift mechanisms when I had the motor on the bench and everything seemed/looked OK. Manually shifted through all gears. I did not open the gear box when I split the cases as the clutch side looked very clean with only 2500 miles on the clock.
I have adjusted the clutch per manual. In first gear it has just enough drag when I push the bike forward or reverse to almost turn the engine over. Stops turning and slips on compression cycle (not running)

Any ideas before I take the cover off to inspect would be appreciated.

danetrainer
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by danetrainer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Dave, I am not quite sure about the method you read in the manual (sounds strange)...but,
do you have freeplay in the cable (usually about 5mm or so) when you pull on the clutch lever?
Did you do any adjustments down on the engine case...at the actuator rod?

oldguy

#3 Post by oldguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:07 pm

Here's what I followed last night as stated in my manual.
The clutch lever fills fine and I'm sure it is releasing.

I'm wondering if I got something wrong on the clutch basket/plates.

I took my time on reassembly and tried to double check my work.

danetrainer
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by danetrainer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:22 pm

Step 4 shows you adjusting the set bolt to the push lever assy, if this has no
freeplay it could be holding tension on the clutch pressure plate (even though the cable has free-play). You need to make sure it is free...just loosen the locknut and back it out until there is no tesion on it.
Sometimes in tightening the lock nut the screw can turn back in putting tension on it (so be sure and hold the screw so it doesn't turn...see their special shop tool with the screwdriver in the middle of it).
When it says "return the screw 1/4 turn...they mean loosen...maybe you
tightened it?
I would exagerate the adjustment to the free side to see that it is not the problem and try it.

oldguy

#5 Post by oldguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:35 pm

initially it was out/loose about 1.5 turns. When I adjusted it went to about half of turn and held the screw while tightening the nut.
No difference.

danetrainer
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by danetrainer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:44 pm

Sounds like you will need to pull the clutch cover and see what you have inside there, (I assume you didn't get to ride it before you bought it, so, very
possible they had abused the clutch and worn the friction plates out).

The good news is that Gus has a very good price on a heavy duty clutch kit, and it will be much better than stock, I just bought one a month ago and plan to install it soon.

If you happen to order a side cover gasket from Canada, could you order an extra as I still need to get one...

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by smurph » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm

I've got one of Gus' clutch kits. It works like a charm.

We need to get side cover gaskets manufactured and let Gus distribute them. I bought one as a spare and left it in the cardboard packaging. Then, the wife threw it away thinking it was just a piece of cardboard I had hanging on the wall. :sad:

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

oldguy

#8 Post by oldguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Time permitting, I plan on pulling the side cover to asses my troubles.. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to ride it before purchase as it had not been started in some 15+ years.

I have worked on many of wet clutches in my life and the friction/clutch plates looked in excellent condition. No warped, overheated or excessive wear signs what so ever.

I'll probably reuse the gasket as it was new. But If I do get another I'll pickup a couple of spares.

Dave

oldguy

#9 Post by oldguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:06 pm

smurph wrote:I've got one of Gus' clutch kits. It works like a charm.

We need to get side cover gaskets manufactured and let Gus distribute them. I bought one as a spare and left it in the cardboard packaging. Then, the wife threw it away thinking it was just a piece of cardboard I had hanging on the wall. :sad:

Steve
Sounds like she went out of her way to take care of that worthless peice of cardboard you hung on the wall instead of throwing it in the trash :smt017

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by smurph » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Well, in her defense, we painted that wall so everything came down. I'm sure it looked just like a piece of cardboard that needed throwing away. She's the consummate organizer and I'm not. I'm totally lost in my basement after she "works" on it.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

oldguy

#11 Post by oldguy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 am

Well Guys the wound was self inflicted. After taking the clutch off for inspection come to find out that I installed the clutch push-rod in assbackwards. I had the small end toward the clutch basket. This is why I couldn't adjust the clutch per manual.
Things seem to be fine now. If I get home in time tomorrow gonna take her for a spin around the block.

Some pics I took. As stated the clutch looks almost new.

Original paint on the covers :grin:

Thanks again for you support.

Dave

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by trix » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:19 pm

That thing looks completely awesome oldguy....like new.