New YZR Replica Frames

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Essexmetal
- - - - -
- - - - -

New YZR Replica Frames

#1 Post by Essexmetal » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:24 pm

For those of you that have been on the site for a long time may remember that Gus was going to be doing a run of Costin like YZR 500 frames.

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... 2433b8649b

I was going to be the shop that built these frames. Much of the raw material was purchased with some parts started. Long way to go before they would be complete. I had stashed everything into the storage area and came across it while making space.

Before it turns into recycled aluminum I thought I would gauge interest if anyone wants one. There is enough material to make 4 frames. Unlike Mr. Costin's the frames the main sections are completely formed with full flanges not weldments. Billet rear swingarm attachment. Setup for Yam R6 front and rear.

The price would be the same as in 2007 at $3200. Difference is I will be standing behind these parts not Gus so you will be getting what you are signing up for.
Rick

re5rotary
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by re5rotary » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:44 am

Hi is there any photos of this frame? regards Terry

Essexmetal
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Essexmetal » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 am

Terry, no since it never got that far. In the 2007 post Gus was a little aggressive with his statements on completion. Since the strongest is the shortest path between the two suspension points it will have an appearance similar to a YZR or Costin frame. To be polite all I will say is Gus has no affiliation with these frames currently and his previous involvement was to initiate the program but did not carry it through.

I had a very well made YZR replica frame (built by someone else) as a roller for sale. It got very little interest and sold for much less than what these frames would cost to build. Based on that and the limited application I am skeptical to proceed with the build in advance of them having a home.

To the other side of the skepticism. How does someone signing up for a frame know they will get what they are paying for? There will be some guarantees in place. At this time I am just trying to gauge interest. Fixturing still needs to be completed.

Rick

Blackshaheen

#4 Post by Blackshaheen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:45 pm

That's a lot of money BUT...for what's being offered/promised it's bugger all. A very reasonable figure, I'm not in the market but I am intrigued. I wish you all the best and hope sincerely that you get to build the frames.

All the best.

hybrid
Site Admin

#5 Post by hybrid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:59 pm

As an owner of a Costin frame, I can vouch for the setup if these frames will have the same geometry as Micks.

My 500 handles very nearly as good (if not as good) as my SP1 did.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by rd84 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:16 am

Hi,

What version of the YZR500 please ? - Also where are you based, and what kind of lead time would there be from placing an order ?
Finally - do you have any photo's of other frames that you have made ?

Sorry for all the questions ! :smile:

Cheers
paul

Essexmetal
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Essexmetal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 pm

Guys, The frame build is no longer on the table. The formed and machined parts have been sold to a bike builder here in Michigan that is is going to use them to build up some chassis of his own design with 4 stroke power.

This works better than trying to pull together a build. I got out of the parts what I had in and they did not go in the scrap bin.

To Paul's question I would have to dig deep to find some frame pics since It was 20 years ago that I built my last bike chassis, with the last two being Kneeler sidecar frames. I will see if I can find some photos. They were Water Buffalo powered. Difference is that those were tube and these new versions are formed sheet metal.

Regards,
Rick

Forceracing31

Chassis

#8 Post by Forceracing31 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:33 pm

Thats a shame, I was just about to commit to buying one from you. I know 1st hand your integrity as well as your knowledge and ability.
Rob Elston

Mick C
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Mick C » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:13 am

Its a shame your not going to build them. I like seeing other people having a go at this stuff!

Just one thing, most (not all) of my frames have full flanges running the length of the spar. It depends on what year/style etc the bike is as to whether I use welded in sections or full length flanges!

Cheers
Mick

Essexmetal
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by Essexmetal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 am

Mick, I am happy to leave the frame business to you. My only interest was not to waste the time already invested in the project. I must apologize that my initial statement read the way it did. Use of the word "unlike" inferred my frame would be superior to yours and that was not my intent. Was used as a reference point to describe the fabrication methods.

Regards,
Rick

Mick C
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by Mick C » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:29 am

Hi Rick,

No probs ...I know you were just descibing your construction methods..I was just clarifying thats all

Cheers
Mick

caetano62

YZR replica

#12 Post by caetano62 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Rick et all,
Nice to see you on the forum. I can too can speak Rick's integrity, too bad he's not going through with the project. I bought the YZR replica he mentioned. i'm gathering R6 suspension now to complete the project next year. While I liked what he sold me I think the R6 bits looks better and are lighter.

Rick, can you tell me more about the builder of the frame? I'm not wanting to lose the history there.

Here's some pics for the rest of the gang here. It's really sweet looking and the tank a a work of art. I still haven't dented it and it's in my hands now in Brazil. I can't believe I checked it and the frame in as luggage!

https://picasaweb.google.com/brian.pris ... aTrackBike

best regards,
Brian

Mike Cichetti
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by Mike Cichetti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Mick, I hope you get that thing done and on the road. I've known Lee for years and I know it was his baby. It has to be 20 years ago when I first saw it in his garage. I'm sure you'll do a spectacular job. Good Luck, Mike

Mike Cichetti
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by Mike Cichetti » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 am

Read to many posts, Brian good luck to you on that project.

caetano62

Re: New YZR Replica Frames

#15 Post by caetano62 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Funny how long it takes to get a project bike like this done. I just dug up the post I made here and it was eight years ago. I am finally starting to make some headway. I have the swing arm almost done and it's almost a roller. Some one else is doing the work. No turning radius now and top shock mount not done. I will move this thread to project folder once I get it rolling. It really turns heads in Brazil. I think it's the only one in the country. No idea how I will make it legal yet... Happy to finally start doing something with it.

Here's a link to the photos.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... 8wYy15Njln" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;