Brake Caliper Rebuild

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Paulrs

Brake Caliper Rebuild

#1 Post by Paulrs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 am

Hi All,
I am In the process of restoring a collection of RD500 front and rear brake calipers and have a few questions for people who have done similar before.

1) Does the piston kit 31A-W0057-00 contain one or two Pistons?
2) The calipers have been split and I was planning to get the halves powder coated and the bolts re-blacked. Any recommendations on companies who can do this in the UK? Triple S and Collins?
3) I am worried the powder coating under the bolt heads may "crush/tear" when the caliper bolts are torqued up (had this on my frame where the powder coat seemed a bit brittle). Thoughts welcome.
4) Where can I get the caliper body seals. Are the body seals different for the front and rear calipers?
5) On each caliper there is a black plastic cover that clips on to hide the brake pads. Is there a part number for this (must be missing the obvious and can't see it)?

Any comments and advice welcome

Paul

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Brake Caliper Rebuild

#2 Post by Speed Freak » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:23 am

1) 2 pistons
2/3) I think the area under the bolt heads is not coated. There are ways to keep this area uncoated, you only need a good company. My experience with powder coating is that it`s hard to get it off from the base material.
Good powder coating is not thicker than paint and not brittle.

4) I think with the search function you can find suzuki part numbers for the body seals.
I have no dimensions of the seals at the moment but I think front/rear are different.

5) There is no part number for the covers in case of the RD500, only sold with the whole caliper assembly...
You can try to search for other models around the production years of the RD500 with brake calipers from Sumitomo. As example, for the XJ900 (Bike code "31A", same as the brake pistons of the RD) they sell the covers as single parts: 41Y-25836-00
This part is also used on the FZ750S which uses (optical) same brake calipers as the RD, just without the YAMAHA logo on it.
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

jackson.40

#3 Post by jackson.40 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:02 am

2, Yes Triple S for powder coating and Collins can do the olive plating

4, Yes the caliper half seals are different front and back.

Yambits do the front half seals, you will need four (see link)

https://yambits.co.uk/rd500-brake-calip ... vnigki9ba6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the rear use Kawasaki part number 43049-1004 ,you will need just one.I have loads of these if you can't find one.

5.Yes use part number 41Y-25836-00 for the inspection covers

If your ally discs on the front calipers are not good you can use these decals on them,the ones are Ebay are to gloss

https://rddecals.afegraphics.com/view_p ... ake-R00396" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are my efforts......................

Last edited by jackson.40 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

podman

#4 Post by podman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi Paul,

I had Powerhouse automotive in Sheffield overhaul my rear caliper, they have everything (seals,pistons etc) on site and use a brake fluid resistant paint to refinish, I think my caliper cost around £50ish complete and I needed a piston as well.

[url]Image

https://www.powerhouse.uk/content/motor ... ervice.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paulrs

#5 Post by Paulrs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks guys, you have saved me hours parts searching (all in stock with Fowlers/yambits)

Steve, is the powder coat gloss or satin finish? And are the bolt in the photo's done with the Collins Yamaha olive, or did you mean they can do olive?

Bryan, they look a handy company to know, but I will get some sort of weird enjoyment doing it the hard way. Slightly disappointed I need to put the painting and plating out for somebody else to do!

Cheers
Paul

jackson.40

#6 Post by jackson.40 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Paulrs wrote:Thanks guys, you have saved me hours parts searching (all in stock with Fowlers/yambits)

Steve, is the powder coat gloss or satin finish? And are the bolt in the photo's done with the Collins Yamaha olive, or did you mean they can do olive?

Bryan, they look a handy company to know, but I will get some sort of weird enjoyment doing it the hard way. Slightly disappointed I need to put the painting and plating out for somebody else to do!

Cheers
Paul
Satin Black,my bolts are original olive bolts but Collins used to do the olive plating

podman

#7 Post by podman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Paulrs wrote:

Paul
I did expect you to say that mate! :grin:

I felt ( a little) the same but as it was cheaper and I drive pass the the place frequently, it was a no brainer for me.

Trig

#8 Post by Trig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:27 am

I use CJ Wards to do mine, its the same company that Nick uses.