Ignition troubleshooting

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Jeff B

Ignition troubleshooting

#1 Post by Jeff B » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Today I stuck some new jets in the carbs and it finally runs good enough that I know I have ignition problems.

It runs good at idle and the faster it revs the more it missfires and backfires. I installed a Zeeltronics ignition this spring after the stock unit wouldn't fire at all (after running reasonably well last fall). Since installing the Zeel the stock tach has been bouncing around. The more rpm's the more the tach bounces. Looks good at idle. I also have a aftermarket tach hooked up to a coil. When crusing at 60 mph it ocasionally jumps 1000 rpms for a moment and it feels like someone tapped the brake pedal. It usually won't rev to redline. Harder acceleration and more rpm's make the problem worse.

Where do I begin looking for the problem? The Zeel is using the same plug as the ignition I replaced.

Jeff B

#2 Post by Jeff B » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Well, the bike doesn't run anymore. I inspected the wire harness and have yet to find a problem. I have an occasional spark when I kick it over.

Has anyone ever had problems with the pickup coil? What happens when they go bad? I'm considering replacing it.

Jeff B

#3 Post by Jeff B » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:11 pm

I searched the archives and bikes with similar problems were suggested to check their HT leads. What is a HT lead?

zomaardan
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by zomaardan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:59 pm

The high speed wires coming from the high speed coils?
Isnt that the orange wire on the ignition coil?

That would be for the it idle and runs ok but the more revs the more trouble story, the it dont runs at al shows there is more wrong right?

vma500
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by vma500 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:00 pm

some suggestions :

-check battery voltage ? does it still load ? badly ?
- earth wires connected ?
-rectfier/regulator function OK ?
- HT leads (= secundary high voltage outputs that end up into the plugcaps ) check for leaks in a dark room ,start engine and look at the HT leads for jumping sparks to any metal

as for a start you have to put every lights of or pull them out ,maybe something is draining the current down ,elimination wise you ve to find out what could cause this .
never start the engine without battery , this works as the smoothing capacitor for the rectifier , can kill the ignition and pv units (worsest scenario )

wich zeel unit do you use VCDI-04 -PCDI-24 ?

Jeff B

#6 Post by Jeff B » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:35 pm

PCDI-24V.

I don't think the problem is the Zeel. The only thing I did, between the engine running at low rpm's only and not enough spark to run, is disconnect wires and check ohm's and volts. That leads me to believe the problem is in the wiring. I have one new coil that I'm going to install and then I'll kick it over in the dark and look for sparks.

aaronmvrider

#7 Post by aaronmvrider » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:35 pm

i would install an original cdi... sounds like the zeel has an issue

i just had a failure on my 350

same symptoms... cdi.... is my bet..

2 year warranty should apply ???
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004

Jeff B

#8 Post by Jeff B » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Borut said he'd gladly check it for me. I just want to cover all my other possibilities first. The only other cdi I have never worked properly. I get the same blue intermitant spark with that one. The last time I tried that one it would fire occasionally. Not anymore.

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:45 am

Jeff, I've just replyed to Airborn's Intermittent Iginition post with the problem related to tacho bounce and HT leads (high tension, or high voltage)
Take a look, hope it helps.

Cheers Andyl
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

Jeff B

#10 Post by Jeff B » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:52 pm

Yes Andrew I saw that, thanks.

I was already to run new HT wires when I realized the servo motor is cycling backwards when I flip the keyswitch. It opens (lines slot with holes in jugs) and then closes and stays closed. I believe it should be open when the key is on and the motor is not running. I could have swore it cycled properly when I installed the Zeel 5 months ago. Any idea what could cause this?

I think it's time to break out the Knob Creek! :partyman:

Jeff B

#11 Post by Jeff B » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:39 pm

I plugged the computer into the zeel. I checked the open and closed postion of the powervave. It check out okay. Could someone verify that the the powervalve should be open when starting with the zeel.

Jeff B

#12 Post by Jeff B » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:52 am

I'm still working on my electrical issues. I'm wondering how many electrical connections can be disconnected with the bike still generating spark. I'd like to isolate as much of the ignition system as possible.