How do I have fan work with a switch

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

RZColinPaul
- - - - -
- - - - -

How do I have fan work with a switch

#1 Post by RZColinPaul » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:25 pm

I think that I splice into the brown and blue wires used to check if the fan is working. My concern is that this has a negitive loop or is it a simple switch between the brown and blue. Also do I unplug the brown and blue wires from the thermo housing. The switch is required because of getting stuck in traffic sometimes. A bit of a history, Bike had oil in the rad fixed the oil seal in the water pump. I flushed the rad and got rid of all the oil, runs a bit hot in traffic.
colinpaul@rogers.com
RZ350 race bike
RZ500 stock
RZ500, TSI spec factory tune stage two,ported polished,JL pipes,28m Mikuni carbs,EB brakes, R6r front end, R6r swing arm, YZR fairing, V Force reeds, Olhin shock, Wasp Performance

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by Gary Papesh » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi Paul, you can wire a second switch, in addition to the thermo switch, to do this job.
That way the thermo switch will still operate the fan when needed.
Not sure what a negative loop is.
My bike is wired so that when the kill switch is activated, the fan turns on.
It is a good way to hide the switch, but in the interest of safety, I plan to mount a small toggle elsewhere.
An easy way to do this is to mount a Scotchlok ,and 1 pigtail wire to each wire going to the thermo unit, and hook up a switch to these 2 pigtails.
Then mount the switch wherever you like.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchlok-Elec ... B0002BFZ7U
Sincerely, Gary P.
The man who dies with the biggest carbon footprint WINS !!!

RZColinPaul
- - - - -
- - - - -

thank you Gary

#3 Post by RZColinPaul » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 pm

Works like a charm, thank you again.!!!!!!
colinpaul@rogers.com
RZ350 race bike
RZ500 stock
RZ500, TSI spec factory tune stage two,ported polished,JL pipes,28m Mikuni carbs,EB brakes, R6r front end, R6r swing arm, YZR fairing, V Force reeds, Olhin shock, Wasp Performance