Starting problem, does the battery affect the ignition?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Bronco

Starting problem, does the battery affect the ignition?

#1 Post by Bronco » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:30 am

Hello, suddently my rd 500 want start, ill may have run it out of gasoline, before i refilled fuel. Or my battery is flat.. My plugs got spark.. Also ive been turning some carburator screws for more rpm when it is in neutral. Thanks

TwoStrokeNut

#2 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:01 am

My 1985 RZ500 runs with a dead battery.
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL
'72 H1-500/'75 H1-500/'85 RZ350/'85 NS400R/'01 DR650/'07 FJR1300/'18 Tiger 1200

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Starting problem, does the battery affect the ignition?

#3 Post by rd84 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:20 am

Bronco wrote:Hello, suddently my rd 500 want start, ill may have run it out of gasoline, before i refilled fuel. Or my battery is flat.. My plugs got spark.. Also ive been turning some carburator screws for more rpm when it is in neutral. Thanks
Have you tried the fuel tap in the prime position - if not give it a try - if the carb bowls are dry you will hear the fuel running into them.
Do you have igniton and warning lights ?- does your YPVS cycle ?

My bike will start with a flat battery - however I do seem to have to kick it harder than normal to start it.

Cheers
Paul

Bronco

Thanks

#4 Post by Bronco » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:25 pm

I doesnt have sparks any longer:/ the ypvs makes a sound know that i changed my battery, and my lights works. Have tried shiffting the fuel switch. The plugs got alot of fuel, but theres no spark. Does this bike have a upper and lower coil? Or only one? Maybe the cdi is destroyed. Strange:(

Hampo

#5 Post by Hampo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi bronco, suspicion falls squarely on the CDI I'm afraid. I had exactly the same problem and learned a lot about the ignition wirin in the process. See my last post- if you can try someone else's unit,which is admittedly v unlikely, bite the bullet and buy an after market digital unit.

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 am

Yep. No spark can be an expensive problem if it turns out to be the CDI unit.

Have you lost spark on all 4 pots?

The top cylinders use one coil situated up behind the steering neck, and the bottom cylinders coil is found on the LHS (sitting on the bike) frame strut in front of the motor.
The Rd500 uses a 'wasted spark' type system, so you can swap plug suppressor caps as another test, but that's if you've only lost one spark. All four sparks gone, it must be something common to all... CDI. Check earths and the CDI multi-lead plug is making good connection.
Good Luck!
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

bungerlowbill
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by bungerlowbill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:27 pm

hi bronco, sorry your having problems, had same nightmare no spark then next day would work then not please check cdi connector pins ie female side of connector. close diameter using long nose pliers and use electrical contact spray
spend money on cdi replacement didn't need it ,as i said had same problem please send p.m