Right/Left hand controls - are the 500 th same as the 350?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

perryml

Right/Left hand controls - are the 500 th same as the 350?

#1 Post by perryml » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:30 pm

I’m wiring my RZ500 from scratch as I received the bike with the wiring harness off the bike. I was able to get spark, however I ditched the wiring harness that came with the bike for a brand new one. My bike does not have auto lube connected (it’s premix only). In addition to CDI/YPVS, I plan to connect the turn signals, an R1 dash, lights and turn signals. Since connecting the new wiring harness I have spark, the YPVS worked (we’ll it stopped and I am investigating the cause and feel I can fix it). What I need help with is as follows:

I purchased a set of right/left hand controls (horn, lights, etc…), however these parts look exactly like the ones on my RZ350, yet I cannot find a connector on the new RZ500 wiring harness for these controls (the new wiring harness is an OEM factory Yamaha part). Are the RZ500 right/left hand controls connectors that plug into the wiring harness different than the RZ350? If anyone can tell me the answer to this it would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone happens to also be working on their bikes electrical system and can send me a photo of the right/left hand control connectors (on the harness) that would be help tremendously because I plan to use the controls from another bike so really just need to identify where the connectors are on the harness. My email address is ahrmamx@aol.com

Thanks, Mike

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:57 pm

I just checked an RZ350 and 500 here and the switches and connectors are the same on both bikes.

perryml

#3 Post by perryml » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Thanks for checking this out for me. At this point I am not sure what is going on because there is a connector that fits the left side (headlight), but the wires do not match when I connect it to the harness (wires at the end of the control are different than the wires they connect to on the harness and there is no connector to put the right side control in? This is way to weird, but thanks again. Mike

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by silverstrom » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Sounds like your harness isn't quite right. Is it a stock Yamaha harness or a reproduction?

YPVS KIWI

#5 Post by YPVS KIWI » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Hi - I am pretty sure the Canadian models had hard wired lights so could be some subtle difference in harness or switch block. Also RH side on the 500 has the pull/push throttle cable locations - 350 only has the pull.

Cheers
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.--Franklin P. Jones

perryml

#6 Post by perryml » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:00 am

The wiring harness part number is: 47X-82590-71. And I found at least one switch block (LH control) that fits into a block on the harness, however the colors of the wires on both blocks do not align when I plug them together?