sidestand switch bypass

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

kpke

sidestand switch bypass

#1 Post by kpke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 am

I am installing the harness on my bike and having to make some modifications due to relocating some of the components. This bike will not use the side stand switch so I would like to bypass it.

The harness has a two pin connector which I believe goes directly to the sidestand switch. There is also a four pin connector which the two pin ties into. The four pin connector connects to the side stand control unit.

Is it ok to not install the sidestand control unit at all?

Will the “electrics” operate without it?

If so then I am thinking I can that I can jumper the blue/yellow wire with the black wire on the four pin connector to bypass the switch. Yes?

If I must install the control unit then I will jumper the 2 wires on the 2 pin connector.

Thanks.

Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

2smoke

Re: sidestand switch bypass

#2 Post by 2smoke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:08 am

I urge you to keep some type of sidestand switch, as i know someone who died from this, in the worst way.
I will spare you the details, but if this bike is going on the road, not track, you need a sidestand switch.
Colin

chillman

#3 Post by chillman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:05 am

I had to bypass my rz350(jumper). My rz500 I just unplugged the switch and it runs. Like smoke said. Better safe than sorry.

TwoStrokeNut

#4 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 am

I'm in the process of gettng my side stand switch functional again. The prior owner had relocated the switch for some reason, but it was still connected.

Luckily I haven't had any mishaps with my RZ, but I remember leaving the sidestand down on my old 1983 V45 Interceptor twice and both times, there was no way I was going to turn left with the stand down. It just skidded on the pavement while I continued to go straight, despite trying to turn the bars left. Fortunately in both cases, I had time (and room) to steer straight, kick the stand up and continue with my left turn. Both were parking lot instances and out in traffic would have been a whole different story. I'm not sure if the geometry of the stand is capable of producing this same effect on the RZ500, but I don't intend to find out.
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL
'72 H1-500/'75 H1-500/'85 RZ350/'85 NS400R/'01 DR650/'07 FJR1300/'18 Tiger 1200