Electrical misfire

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

kev0145

Electrical misfire

#1 Post by kev0145 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:17 pm

I am new to the site and I was wondering if anyone may have any idea in an electrical misfire I am getting under power on my RZV. The bike starts with no problems but switching on the lights cause the rev counter and temp gauge to under read, reving the bike and the lights dim. If I switch on the indicators the lights and neutral light flash dim which would indicate an earth problem. I have checked the generator output at the battery and get just over 12V, the manual says it should be 14-15V so I have checked the generator coils resistance which are all in tolerance. The rectifier resistance does not seem right but could this be the cause of the misfire? Any advice would be appreciated.

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Electrical misfire

#2 Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:59 pm

It definitely seems like your problems something battery/ regulator/ rectifier related. Especially if your lights dim & bright when reved.
With the bike running you'd definitely expect 13.5-14 volts at the battery terminals.
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

2smoke

#3 Post by 2smoke » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:21 pm

I dont know about the misfire but i would look at the cheap stuff first. Unhook the battery and test it. Check the battery cables/connectors closely. I had a battery die on my 350 last summer. Only way i could tell was the turn signal didnt flash anymore.
Check the lower ignition coil bracket to see if its cracked/broken at the bolt hole. Pretty common.
Misfire will probably be one cylinder so look for a plug that looks wet vs. the others.
Colin

kev0145

#4 Post by kev0145 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks for the advice, I will try a rectifier first and have a look at the coil mounting.