Digital speedo for R6 front end

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

stevef

Digital speedo for R6 front end

#1 Post by stevef » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:19 am

I have fitted a motogadget digital speedo to my bike because i have the R6 front end.

I have connected the speed sensor to the back wheel.
I have NOT connected the tacho function wire as it is not needed
I have connected the power to a switched positve and connected the earth.

While your riding the speedo works fine up till the tacho reaches 5500rpm then it goes haywire with readings of for example 484,358,433 klms per hour, drop back below 5500rpm its works fine.
If you sit with the bike in neutral and rev it above 5500rpm it does the same thing.

It seems that there is some sort of electrical interference.
I have insulated all the wires properly.

I have contacted motogadget but they were no help. I thought at $300 for the unit there would be some sort of after sales service but no.

Can any of you electonic guru's help me???

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Digital speedo for R6 front end

#2 Post by adr1an » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi Steve,
I'm far from an expert and you may have already tried this.
To ensure there is no interference, remove the sensor and cabling from the bike, connect it to the gauge and rig up the sensor actuator (I assume it's a small magnet) in a cordless drill to mimic the wheel rotation. That should let you know if the gauge is ok.
Depending on the sensor cable routing, you may be getting interference from the coils. Using a shielded cable or cable trunking may cure this.

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by adr1an » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi Steve,
I'm far from an expert and you may have already tried this.
To ensure there is no interference, remove the sensor and cabling from the bike, connect it to the gauge and rig up the sensor actuator (I assume it's a small magnet) in a cordless drill to mimic the wheel rotation. That should let you know if the gauge is ok.
Depending on the sensor cable routing, you may be getting interference from the coils. Using a shielded cable or cable trunking may cure this.

stevef

#4 Post by stevef » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks adrian
I seem to have found the problem. I had fitted the speed sensor to my rear brake caliper bracket with an aluminium bracket. It seems thats where the interference was coming from. I made a carbon fibre bracket so it was not grounded and that seemed to fix the problem.

The speed sensor has 2 wires 1 that has to go to earth anyway, thats why i found it strange that the sensor itself would need to be insulated from ground.