Newbie with a troublesome RZV

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

spazbecker

Newbie with a troublesome RZV

#1 Post by spazbecker » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:17 am

Hello one and all,

New to the RZV world and this site and hoping someone can help with a hopefully small problem.

I've just got my RZV in the last month, mint with just 7K on the clock, full detailed service history including carbs sonically cleaned just 500 miles ago. I've used premium fuel. Been out on it a couple of times and after about 30 minutes of hard riding it feels like it drops a cylinder; lack of power, won't pull cleanly etc. Took it to my local workshop, who I trust, who changed the HT leads and plugs. Went out again today and the same symptoms appeared again after 45 minutes.

I'm not technical at all but previous bikes would suggest a coil maybe? any other direction I should look maybe? cheers :???:

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Newbie with a troublesome RZV

#2 Post by rd84 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:04 am

Blocked fuel tank breather ? (Fuel Cap) - Try taking the fuel cap off after you feel a power loss ? If there is a rush of air then there will be a breather problem.

Each coil feeds two cylinders - so if it's a coil problem you would lose more than one cylinder. Did you check for a spark on each cylinder ?

Cheers
Paul

Masterbill

#3 Post by Masterbill » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:45 am

Hello,

Long time ago I had a similar problem, bike started fine and ran well -went for a ride 30 miles or so and it would lose power. I noticed a miss through one of the bottom cylinders and I could hear a "ping" noise as well.

Changed plugs and moved coils around etc - still the same. Bottom right exhaust when sat on bike was colder .

Changed CDI and it was cured. I would also check your CDI wiring connector - make sure that you are getting good contacts - the wiring on these bikes are old and the copperwire corrodes, goes green etc.

Also check your earth connections - make sure they are solid and clean.

Sometime later the bike ran rough etc - checked it all out and I tracked it to the CDI wiring from the loom connector to the CDI. I cut a good 6" from the loom CDI wiring -rewired it to another connector and all was well.

The old cut wiring was Black/green correded - I didn't have any trouble after sorting that.

Cheers Bill
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s

2smoke

#4 Post by 2smoke » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 am

Hi
Only 7000 miles but 29 years old.....
I always look at the spark plugs first. If it is dropping a cylinder then it will be wet or oily. Then you know which cylinder is the problem. They should be dry and light brown if operating correctly. White or silver is very bad :smt010
A good place to start.
Colin

V4 Heaven

#5 Post by V4 Heaven » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi, did you resolve this problem? Mine has a similar problem. The engine has just had a 100% rebuild and the carbs ultrasonically cleaned, so I'm confident I can rule them out. The brand new battery is almost flat after approx 30 miles, so further investigation is required.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Gary Papesh » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Battery going flat is a big clue.
Check the battery voltage when the power loss happens again.
The regulator/rectifier may not be allowing the battery to charge.
Or the alternator may be getting weak/ breaking down.
Good luck. Gary.
The man who dies with the biggest carbon footprint WINS !!!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by silverstrom » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Start the bike and check the voltage across the battery terminals. Should be near 14V around 5000 rpm. If your reg/rec is dead or failing you'll know right away.

spazbecker

#8 Post by spazbecker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:28 am

Update is that I had the battery tested and it was knackered. Put a new one in and been for a couple of hour long rides and touch wood, the problem hasn't reappeared. Didn't think it could be something so simple (it that's what it is of course!)

V4 Heaven

#9 Post by V4 Heaven » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:03 am

I have a new battery and a brand new wiring loom, so I'll try the reg/rect route first.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by silverstrom » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:24 pm

spazbecker wrote:Update is that I had the battery tested and it was knackered. Put a new one in and been for a couple of hour long rides and touch wood, the problem hasn't reappeared. Didn't think it could be something so simple (it that's what it is of course!)
Hope you checked and know why the battery was knackered. If not you may very well end up with another one that is knackered.

spazbecker

#11 Post by spazbecker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Bike had been stood for some time and the plates in some of the cells had broken down.