RD 500 Batteries

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

yamorak

RD 500 Batteries

#1 Post by yamorak » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Hello from New Zealand,

Hope you guys can help, I am thinking about replacing my lead acid battery with a Gell battery or a sealed lead acid battery, have any of you used them and are there any problems with them. I don't use the bike a lot but I find I have to keep an eye on the battery fluid levels as over a period of time the levels drop when I use the accumate battery minder, I have a number of bikes in the garage with lead acid batteries the difference is the removal and inspection of the batteries is easy compared to the RD 500.

Many thanks,

Tony

smokamoto

Re: RD 500 Batteries

#2 Post by smokamoto » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 am

I'm using a Ballistic 4-cell lithium ion battery from ridersdiscount.com, about $100.00. It comes with foam to cut up and stuff in the battery box to take up the space afforded by the smaller Ballistic.
Seems to work quite well and it keeps it's charge for a year with out re-charging (unplugged of course).
No more filling cells with distilled water!!

nzminis

#3 Post by nzminis » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:32 am

im in NZ aswell

i got a moto batt . agm or gell

below is the one you need for the 500

http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/mobamb55u.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arrived overnight . charged ready to go .heaps of people i know have used them so im going ot do the rest of my bike in them at some stage

i have chambers on my bike and its a pain in the ass to get the battery cover off so i got a trickle charger with a lead that comes from the battery and hides under the seat , so you can just take the seat off and clip the charger in

ugly yellow so i wraped it in black vinyl so you dont see it through the window

keefa

#4 Post by keefa » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:23 am

hi Tony,

Keith here another kiwi down in darfield..

I am running a trailtech battery

http://www.trailtech.net/040-BATT3.7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

try $60 bucks...

I have three of them in my RD / RZ collection

Much lighter than the motoblatt which I run in a ducati 900SS

cheers..
bikes going rz500, TE310
bikes projects rd400, 900ss, 750 F1

Why is there no time left...

yamorak

#5 Post by yamorak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your input about my battery query all very helpful.

I started the 500 last Sunday as it has stood Idle for the last fourteen months since I moved to NZ.

I had no problem in starting it and after a short time I noticed the lower left carb was overflowing a small amount, I have had this problem before and is an easy fix ( the fuel tank is clean inside )

The second problem I noticed was a small amount of smoke coming from the exhaust mounting point just rear of the battery. I removed the exhaust yesterday (Saturday) and found the mounting point plate has pulled away a small amount and I think it should be possible to weld it back in place.

The only other small problem is the horn sounds very weak and I think I need to check the earth to it and hope that is all that's wrong with it, if not I will have to look to replace the horn.

Many thanks,

Tony