making RD500 wireharness work with RZ500

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

making RD500 wireharness work with RZ500

#1 Post by jak167 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:14 am

Have been working to get Mickey's RZ500 working and because I was having electrical problems, I decided to get a new wire harness. The old one had suffered some damage in the past, looked like from overcharging by the previous owner. No matter where I looked I could not find a RZ500 harness. It's part number 47X-82590-51. I could only find a wire harness for a RD500, part number 47X-82590-71. Since the bikes were basically the same, I decided to try it.

Once it arrived, I compared the old one to the the new one. I noticed some definite differences. The new harness was missing two plugs on the part of the harness that went down to the stator. It had a small six blade plug instead of a three blade plug at the top of the harness by the ignition key plug. And it had some extra wires in the rubber boot by the headlight area of the harness. I then pulled up a RD500 wiring diagram, compared it to my RZ500 wiring diagram and found the below differences.

(please note: I uploaded the pictures to archive.org, but with some images, when you first display them, they looked stretched. If you left-click the picture to zoom and then left click again to zoom out the picture resizes and looks much better. Why, I don't know, go ask you mother)

First, the RD500 did not have a kickstand switch. This switch prevents the bike from being put into gear if the kickstand is down and the bike running. It kills the bike in this instance. Also, besides not having a kickstand switch, the RD500 did not have a Kickstand module. The RZ500 has both of these items.

https://ia700705.us.archive.org/25/item ... Module.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This module takes the signal from both the kickstand switch and the neutral switch, and if either switch has been activated, will, again, prevent the bike from running (ie: it kills the bike). The RD500 only has a neutral switch which runs directly to the CDI. The RD500 harness will work with the RZ500, but you have to remove kickstand switch and the kickstand module (these were the two plugs I mentioned missing and the two items in the above picture) from the RZ500 and discard these items. The switch is down low on the left side of the frame right next to the kickstand. the module is on the left frame downtube, just below the radiator, near the ignition coil and rectifier. Once these items are removed, the RZ500 neutral switch connects directly to the CDI just like the RD500 neutral switch. Put the bike in gear and try to start, nothing. Put the bike in neutral, starts right up.

Second, the plug which connects the left handlebar switches to the wire harness does not have the same pinout as the RD500 harness. It has all of the same wires, in the same color, serving the same purpose, the plugs just have different pinouts.

https://ia600705.us.archive.org/25/item ... nector.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You need to use a pin to remove the wires from the white plastic plug on the RZ500 side which leads to the left handle bar switches and move them to the correct location to match the black plug on the RD500 harness. Once you do this, everything works fine. You will also be left with one female bullet connector on an red wire with a yellow stripe; this wire is not used on the RZ500, its for the headlight switch on a RD500 (see below).

Third, the RD500 has a separate switch to turn the headlight on and off, not connected to the ignition key. On and RD500, at least according to the wiring diagram, you can have the bike running, but the headlight off. The RZ500 does not have this switch because the headlight automatically turns on, and stays on, when you turn on the ignition key. Therefore, on the RD500 harness, right next to the six pin, large blade connector for the ignition switch, the RD500 harness has a six pin, small white male blade connector.

https://ia600705.us.archive.org/25/item ... nector.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the RZ500, the connector is a three pin, small white blade connector.

https://ia700705.us.archive.org/25/item ... nector.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since the RZ500 does not have a headlight switch, it does not use three of the wires for the headlight switch. You need to use a safety pin to remove all six wires from the six pin connector on the RD500 harness, then remove the three pins from the three pin connector on an old RZ500 harness (or find the comparable three pin plug), then install the correct three wires from the RD500 harness into the three pin plug to match the RZ500 bike's plug. The remaining three wires of black, blue, and red/yellow are not used and can be taped over. (see last picture) Also, three unused wires colored yellow/blue stripe, yellow/black stripe, gray, and black also run through the harness to the headlight area (by the big rubber cover). Since these wires are not used, they would need to be taped on this end of the harness as well.

https://ia700705.us.archive.org/25/item ... 0Wires.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you have made the above changes, the RD500 harness will work with the RZ500. I have posted a video of Mickey's bike being run for the first time in eight years with the modfication above. http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... &start=150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later,
John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

Retired 18E

Re: making RD500 wireharness work with RZ500

#2 Post by Retired 18E » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 am

Good day Mr. 167, I'm coming across some wiring issues of my own, and perhaps you could lend some info. First of all mine is an RZ from Canada, but it does have some of the wires from an RD. Firstly, the red/yellow wire is definately here. As you stated it is found on the RD and not on the RZ and it's not even on the RZ schematic. But I have one! Additionally, lots of wires for lights fore and aft are a combination of the two, ie. My rear signal lights have the RZ's color coding, yet my tail-light has RD color coding. Most importantly, the rear brake switch. The switch itself checks out, as do the wires coming out of it, but what they plug into on the harness isn't on either schematic. My apologies for not remembering their color at this moment, but the fact is, it's one not listed. I did check on the "Production Differences" page, but there was no listing of anything to do with the wiring.

Seems like I have an mix of the two harness and plug outs. Any help from you or anyone out there is much appreciated.

Max
Let me ride on the Wall of Death one more time

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by jak167 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Retired,

Best suggestion I could make would be to make a drawing of the relevant plugs and wires. Since you know what wires lead from the lights to the harness; and what wires lead from the switches to the harness, you know what switch wires should be used to control what light etc. Then look on the wiring diagram from the manual (which should be posted in a section of the forum) and trace out which wires should connect. then match your wires to the wiring diagram (even if color wrong) then test.

If you could post some drawings, pics, etc. I would be glad to help.

John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

Retired 18E

#4 Post by Retired 18E » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:31 am

Sounds like a plan, I'm getting right on it.... After I get out of work of course...... If I do as you say and make a good diagram I should be able to get it sorted out, but posting the drawing is a good idea, it'll be my first, though I've been a member since the 90's, I've never posted anything.

Retired 18E

#5 Post by Retired 18E » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 am

John,

Went through a great deal of it and it would appear that I've got a major pinch point or crunched insulation or some such thing in the main harness. The Tail light light wires check out, but the brake lights definately have a problem. The Green/Yellow wires check out, but the brown wires associated with them are all contiguous with ground. The Hi/Low beam switch has been disconnected and the Head light plug has it's Green, Yellow, and Black wires.... But the Black and the Yellow are both grounded.

If you know ofd any common problems in this area John, I'd sure be grateful to learn about them.

Max