Killing coils?

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Twinsport
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Killing coils?

#16 Post by Twinsport » Thu May 22, 2014 4:32 pm

silverstrom wrote:...I have resistor plugs and caps in all of my bikes and have never had any issues...
Well - I cannot argue with that. To hell with the physics!
silverstrom wrote:... If adding an extra 5K is causing enough current loss to affect your ignition system, well, then you have a bigger problem somewhere else.
That's one way of looking at it. I just like optimizing stuff. I also adjust the tire pressure and lubricate the chain. And I hate to waste ignition energy in resistors..

BTW: I'm happy to hear that you never had any plug issues with the RD. That makes you somewhat special. :smt003

/Steen
If I had a signature, it would be good.

Twinsport
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Killing coils?

#17 Post by Twinsport » Thu May 22, 2014 5:46 pm

silverstrom wrote:... I can only tell you how it is for me. Having some professional knowledge of both electricity and physics helps me get by. I'm not a rocket scientist, nor am I special, but 26 years in aviation maintenance and a lifetime of 2 strokes has taught me a thing or two...
But didn't you notice then, that ignition systems from the 50's were inferior compared to the systems (including cdi) from the 80's? And that a ignition system today is way more powerfull than what we previously had? Likewise we rarely have plug troubles on a modern engine, compared to what we were used to. Simply because todays systems transmit more energy to the plugs.
That is the exact reason why I don't like wasting to much energy. There is a lot to optimize here.

Changing the coils to ones with different characteristics changes matters as well, as does the ignition leads, caps and plugs.
It's not rocket science. Of course not. My years of building ignition systems just learned me that the devil is in the detail. That is why I run Suzuki Bandit 600 coils, copper ignition wires and 1 kohm caps on non-resistor plugs and uses vintage Bosch plugs for jetting and general tuning, as they do not foul.
The combination of coils, wires and caps gives maximum energy at the plugs at all revs. The plug gap can then be enlarged for easier ignition of the gas, which gives more uniform burning with less tendency to ignition knocking.

/Steen
If I had a signature, it would be good.