Can't locate this wire

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Retired 18E

Can't locate this wire

#1 Post by Retired 18E » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:15 am

Good day all,

The index of color codes in the service manual lists this color combo, and there it is in front of me, but where is it on the schematic?? I can't find it! The wire I'm asking about is Red with a Yellow stripe, listed in the index as R/Y. I'd really appreciate some assistance with this one, as I said the wire itself is right here! But what is it attached to?!

Thanks very much.
Let me ride on the Wall of Death one more time

2smoke

Re: Can't locate this wire

#2 Post by 2smoke » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Red/yellow is at the connector near the fusebox.
Yellow/red is at the connector near the turnsignal cancel unit.
Colin

Retired 18E

#3 Post by Retired 18E » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:25 am

Thanks very much!! Very nice color wiring diagram.... Where could I get one?!

Max

2smoke

#4 Post by 2smoke » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 am

Its the last page of the RZ500N service manual. Its very big, too big to scan.
Whats the issue, are you redoing the harness, or just a missing connector?
Colin

Retired 18E

#5 Post by Retired 18E » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:37 am

Actually just trying to sort out a couple of seeminly similar problems. And from what I learned today, I may have to rework some of my harness. Here is what I got. 1.) The Headlight plug has 3 wires and 3 posts on it, Yellow, Green and Black. Now there is a Hi/lo beam switch on this bike, but no passing switch, no shut-off switch (other than the main keyed switch.) And with the Hi/Lo beam switch un plugged there are two grounded wires at the Headlight plug, the Black and the Yellow.

2) Onto the Tail light/Brake light. Each of the switches for the front and rear brakes operate well, open when off of them, closed when on them. And both switches have the same two color-coded wires coming out of them, a Green/Yellow and a Brown. When checking continutity from one to the other the Green/Yellows switch check out great. From the place in the harness where the rear brake switch plugs in to where the Tail light plugs in to where the front brake switch plugs in, it's golden. Not grounded not ringing anywhere else, it looks good. Not so the Brown wire. The Brown wire from any of those same three points shows continutity to Ground!

Do you think I need to replce the whole harness? How do things like this happen? Any known repeat offending areas? I've got lots of things unplugged from the main harness, and it seems like a lot of points on it showing ground when they shouldn't.

My deepest gratitude for any assistance.

Max